Principal Douglas Nelson carries school spirit

Photo by Elizabeth Mehler
Principal Douglas Nelson holds a sign at the Wootton v.s. Churchill football game on Sept. 14.

In only his second year as principal, Douglas Nelson can be credited by students and staff for a recognizable increase in school spirit.

If you’ve attended one of our sports events, you’ve likely seen Nelson cheering from the sidelines. If you follow our school Instagram accounts, you’ve likely seen Nelson star in an interview. If you’ve had a conversation with Nelson in the halls, you’ve likely noticed his spirited demeanor.

Nelson’s implementation of spirit remains one of his priorities “Our focus on unity was developed to help us move this focus forward. I have really appreciated how students have worked with me on developing this priority for the school,” Nelson said.

Student organizations such as SGA and Class Planning share the desire to spread spirit in our academic community. Student leaders work hard to plan and host school-wide events that bond our student body and increase Patriot pride.

In the past few years, due to the online school year, school spirit diminished. Upon returning to in-person events, there was work to be done in raising participation. “I believe school spirit has increased, and there is still work to do. Last year, I think spirit came back as everyone reacclimated to being fully back at school. Now, we need to sustain it,” Nelson said.

This year, events are geared toward bringing back spirit after online school took a toll on its presence. “Our main goal for Splanning this year was to get everyone involved and raise the number of participants at Wootton events. I think we’ve had a good turnout at the events we’ve planned so far and we hope to see the same at upcoming events like POTH,” senior class president Kelly Ren said.

Nelson’s involvement in our student groups has demonstrated his commitment to the school community. “Working with student groups and staff to develop this focus has been very important. I also want to show up and be present; so, by modeling this I hope that it encourages others to show spirit,” Nelson said.

It takes everyone’s dedication to sustain spirit. The easiest way to show support to our school’s community is to attend our events. “Just be there. Show up for school events in whatever way is comfortable for you, but show up. Too often we let little excuses get in the way of this,” Nelson said.

Students and staff feel Nelson’s presence has been more noticeable than in past administration, seeing him involved with events and sports games. “The team appreciates seeing Nelson come to our football games, even the away games,” senior football captain Jake Kelley said.

It is evident that Nelson cares about connecting with the student body. “I feel that past principals have also been involved, but Mr. Nelson seems to genuinely have fun and enjoy Wootton events,” AP Literature teacher Dominique Parker said.

A memorable demonstration of his spirit was being a competitor in SGA’s pep rally hot dog eating contest where Nelson was excited to participate. “I enjoy it. I am sure some students enjoy seeing me engage in this way, but personally, I just find it fun. I was really engaged in my high school when I was a student and so I continue to engage as a principal. You might as well have fun while at school. You also cannot expect fun to find you, you must seek out the fun,” Nelson said.