Drake’s “For All the Dogs” debuts at number one

Photo by Shreyas Jindal
Drake performs on his “It’s all a blur” tour in D.C..

Aubrey “Drake” Graham released his highly anticipated album, “For All The Dogs,”on Oct. 6. It was initially going to be released on Sept. 22, but Drake was on tour. If he had released the album, he would have had to push back concert dates.

Drake was born and raised in Toronto, Canada. The city of Toronto has a heavy influence on his music and clothing brand. Drake attended the Forest Hill School Collegiate Institute in Toronto, where he met a classmate whose dad was an acting agent. This is where he landed a role in the show “Degrassi: The Next Generation.” which earned him a young artist award in 2002 for best ensemble in a TV series. “I heard Drake for the first time in four4th grade and since then I would say I’m a fan, ” senior Rishi Iyer said.

Around 2006 five years after the start of Degrassi, Drake started to move into hip hop with his first mixtape “Room for Improvement,” which didn’t have many sales and didn’t get much attention. It wasn’t until one year later that he dropped “Comeback Season,” which got him his first hit single and music video. This garnered attention from Lil Wayne who was an established rapper at the time and considered one of the all-time greats.

Drake now has 12 number one albums on the Billboard 200 and 11 number one hits. “For All the Dogs” is his eighth studio album. The tracklist has 23 tracks with notable features from J Cole, Lil Yachty,SZA, 21 Savage and others. “I liked the song IDGAF, Bahamas Promises, and Tried our Best, I would rate it like a 8/10,.” senior Kasra Dokhaee said. The cover was created by his son Adonis. The controversy of his son arised in 2019 when it came out to the world that he had a son he didn’t know about. Drake is now raising Adonis, who has an influence with the cover and a two-minute intro on the song “8am in Charlotte. Each track tackles a different genre whether it’s Latin music with Bad Bunny or R&B with Partynextdoor. After the release of this album, On his podcast “Table for one” Drake said “I probably won’t make music for a little bit, I’m going to be honest”. “I liked ‘For all the dogs’ and it’s sad to see him take a break but I’m happy with what he has produced recently,” senior Anthony Johnson said.