Women in Leadership Club educates, encourages persistence

Image courtesy Women in Leadership Club Instagram
The Women in Leadership club advertises a bake sale at Dawson’s Market on Oct. 28.

The Women in Leadership club is planning to have a guest speaker for their next meeting, on Oct. 27, as well as a bake sale on Oct. 28 at Dawson’s Market.

The Women in Leadership club was created to “educate others of the obstacles females face in accomplishing leadership positions and also educate all students in how to overcome the obstacles,” senior Leila Castro said.

Castro, along with senior Ronna Sinker, established the club at their high school. Castro had the original idea and came up with the name. Castro and Sinker are the presidents of this club. This club was first started so that others could feel empowered. “We feel that it’s important for young girls to see women being leaders because they need to know that they can become leaders too one day. It’s important for them to see that anything is possible and to strive or work towards becoming a leader. It’s important for them to have a female role model in their lives,” Castro said.

The meetings for this club will be held in math teacher Suzanne Hosking’s room 282 during the student advisory period. It will take place on the last Friday of each month. According to one of the presidents, “These meetings will last within the advisory period, and may end earlier,” Sinker said.

However, none of these monthly meetings will be taking place outside of school. According to the presidents of the club, there are approximately 50 to 60 people who have signed up for this club so far. Additionally, the club will hold activities and events. “We will have guest speakers, potlucks, food drives, and volunteering,” Sinker said.

Women in Leadership will be having a guest speaker at their next meeting, on Oct. 27. This person is a businesswoman and entrepreneur. Additionally, their first event will be a bake sale. It will be held at Dawson’s Market on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 12-3:30 p.m. All proceeds will go to the Tandana Foundation. This foundation is a non-profit organization that supports community initiatives in Ecuador and Mali, as well as offers intercultural volunteer experiences.

The Women in Leadership club is the first year this club has been at this school. Sinker said, “This is the first year this club has been at Wootton so I’m extremely excited to be able to introduce this to our student body.”

Senior London Smith is a member of this club and would also recommend others to join this club.“I recommend people join this club because it teaches things such as steps into leadership roles, growing up in womanhood, and being an inspiration for others,” Smith said.

Women in Leadership has an Instagram account called @wootton_wil. Students are able to message their Instagram or email one of the presidents about any questions they might have or any interest in signing up for this club. You can also contact the presidents of this club, senior Leila Castro and senior Ronna Sinker for more information.