Old memories make way for new experiences

Photo courtesy Olivia McCann

Senior Planning gets together in their senior shirts at the beginning of the year for car decorating.

As the school year starts wrapping up and seniors are entering their last weeks of high school, it’s fun to look back on our favorite memories and experiences but also enjoy the excitement of the unknown future.

Thinking about high school, the phrase “we are as old as we have ever been and as young as we’ll ever be” comes to mind. I feel so old, graduating high school and going to college, but I still feel like a little kid, who hasn’t done so much yet.
So much is going to change soon, and there is so much to be missed, which can be scary. Senior Olivia McCann said “Going to school is what we have done for almost every day of almost every week, for almost our whole lives. We will never be all together like this again.”

While many of us say we cannot wait to leave high school and go off to college, we have made amazing memories at the school. “I loved making my movie in film class and having to stop filming just to laugh,” McCann said.

Driving to Frost at six on a Friday night, walking down the hill and stuffing my face with pizza in 30 seconds while squished in between my best friends with cheers coming from every direction is an experience I am never going to have again. Knowing everything we have ever known is going to be different soon is incredibly terrifying. Change can be hard, we are leaving the people we have known our whole lives behind. “I’m going to miss seeing my friends everyday and all the people I grew up with,” senior Dilan Parikh said.

But it is important to embrace change, as there are great things ahead of all of us.
Getting to start a new chapter in our lives means trying new things and meeting new people. “I look forward to meeting new people in college and beginning my career,” Parikh said.

Going to a completely new place next year is exciting for people, as the academic environment will be completely different. “Next year, I am excited for figuring iut living somewhere new with some extra independence, exploring California and getting to take very specific classes, especially in later years of college, that I’ve never been offered before,” senior Madeline Press said.

Having new experiences is what being young is all about and going away from our Wootton bubble is just the way to do that. “Although this chapter of my life is closing, I am extremely excited to meet new people and start the next phase of my life,” McCann said.

Cheering for the Pats on Friday nights at the stadium, dancing with the grade at POTH, screaming at pep rallies and dressing up in all red, white and blue is almost over for us, but there is so much more to come.