The best ways to check your grades online

Screenshot by Jake Hoffman

A goodbye message from Seth Setse appears when the GradeView app is opened.

Although Student Vue is an easy way for students to check their grades fast, it doesn’t offer any way to add assignments or change current grades. This is a feature that students from world enjoy and use for their benefit.

The go-to method for students in past years was a website and mobile app called “GradeView.” GradeView or previously known as “myMCPS Helper” was a service created by Seth Setse who is a former MCPS student. The service shut down on Dec, 22, 2022.
GradeView started back in October 2017 when it took MCPS by storm and eventually grew so other school systems across the state and country could enjoy the product. Setse was even looking to expand to other countries before being forced to shut down for legal reasons.

GradeView offered a platform where students could check grades, change a current grade, and add assignments to see what they need to score on certain things to earn grades they could be proud of. With frequent updates and new features, GradeView never had issues and was always evolving. “I loved checking and changing my grades on GradeView. When I heard it was shutting down It felt like a part of my childhood was gone,” senior Jared Su said.

A number of students got lucky and were still able to use GradeView after the app shut down. However, most students get a goodbye message from Setse when they open the app on their phones or computers. The goodbye message has a link that takes students to Setse’s instagram account where a sad video and a longer goodbye message is written out. The post on instagram has over 50,000 views.

With no more GradeView, students had to pivot to alternative options to check and edit their grades. Putting grades into a calculator and doing the math by oneself to find your GPA is always an option but is definitely not the most effective. Then word came out of a new GradeView called “Grade Melon.”

While the new app might not be as advanced and can experience issues, the concept is pretty much the same and students can take advantage of the platform. One drawback is that a good number of students are unable to log in to the service and are stuck with no grade editing and using the StudentVue platform that is offered by MCPS. “Grade Melon works perfectly for me and I was so excited that I have another platform to see and change all my grades,” senior Zach Haledjian said.
GradeView may never be replicated in the future but MCPS students will always look for ways to gain any advantage they can on checking and editing their grades.