Best Buddies raises funds with new St. Patrick’s Day tradition

Photo by Josie Starr

Best Buddies Presidents Josie Starr and Dani London deliver cookies on Mar. 17 along with buddies Danny Fitzgerald, Edwardo Prudenci and Dinesh Augustus.

The Best Buddies club looks to promote inclusion by marking St. Patrick’s Day with a lucky new tradition. On Mar. 17, members of the club participated in a fundraiser coined “Spread the Luck,” offering students the opportunity to order cookies that would be delivered to themselves or a friend during first, second and seventh periods.

The innovative fundraising idea was proposed by club officer Maya Halpern in early February. After gaining approval from the financial office, Best Buddies leadership sprung into action to turn their proposal into reality. Cookies were supplied by the family of buddy Danny Fitzgerald, along with other members of the club. Treats were packed in groups of three, students receiving both chocolate chip and double chocolate chip cookies.

The club took inspiration from the widely popular a capella holiday fundraiser, singing Valentines, by offering a note that could be delivered along with the cookie package. “Singing Valentines is so successful and brings a lot of school spirit, and so we thought for St. Patrick’s day we could incorporate a similar design. It is a great way to give IDD (intellectual and developmental disabilities) and non-IDDstudents a chance to interact and become friends,” Best Buddies co-president Josie Starr said.

Throughout the week of Mar. 13 – Mar. 17, deliveries were sold in the Commons, the table manned by both IDD and non IDD members. The package cost $3 – $5s depending on the date of purchase, IDD club members playing an active role in the sales process in addition to the actual deliveries. “Our students in the SEB (social emotional behavior) and autism programs are part of Wootton and want to be included. Having them involved in selling the cookies is great for visibility, friendship, and supporting Best Buddies,” teacher volunteer Megan Miller said.

Our students in the SEB (social emotional behavior) and autism programs are part of Wootton and want to be included. Having them involved in selling the cookies is great for visibility, friendship, and supporting Best Buddies

— Megan Miller

After collecting orders throughout the week, buddies Danny Fitzgerald, Edwardo Prudenci and Dinesh Augustus spent the first, second and seventh periods delivering the ordered cookies to their designated classes. In total, about 75 individual cookies were sold, raising about $80. “We sold cookies for St. Patrick’s day, it was fun,” buddy Eduardo Prudencio said.

Overall, the fundraiser was a great success, spreading St. Patrick’s day festivity and cheer to all members of the school community. “I loved seeing the smiles on my friends’ faces when they received the cookies. It was a cute surprise that really made their day,” sophomore Ashi Stanislaus said.

This school is home to one of the almost 3,000 Best Buddies chapters around the globe, dedicated to ending the social, physical, and economic isolation of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Wootton chapter pairs IDD and non IDD students together through engaging activities, fostering friendships among the two communities with events ranging from tie dye to dance parties. All proceeds from the Spread the Luck fundraiser will be donated to funds raised by The Best Buddies Friendship Walk, taking place at the D.C. National Mall on Apr.29. If you are interested in getting involved with the cause, you can find more information at https://www.bestbuddiesfriendshipwalk.org/vadc/.