Students, staff engage in Take Your Child to Work Day

English teacher Melissa Kaplan brought her son Aleksander to Take Your Child to Work Day. He was proud to share his Pokemon collection.
Photo by Sophia Shapiro

Teachers walked into school with their kids in hand and a full day of work ahead of them on April 25 for Take Your Child to Work Day. A total of 34 kids came to this school, ranging from ages 3-16.

While some kids chose to stay with their parents in their classroom, others participated in activities that were planned for them. During period 1, kids could go to the gym to play basketball with Maggie Dyer’s class. Period 2 had two options: making pottery with a student in room 186 with Malinda Pierce’s class or making butter in a bottle with Kristen Daugherity in room 106. Period 3 had games available to play in the Media Center such as Legos and chess and period 4 had Yoga with Victoria McCarthy.

English teacher Melissa Kaplan’s son, Alexander Kaplan said, “I played basketball at the gym for a period, the students were very nice.” He also shared that his “favorite Pokemon is Mew.”

Advisory provided kids with an opportunity to participate in a scavenger hunt and lunch had painting with National Arts Honors Society students in room 188 with art teacher Quan Duong. Period 6 was basketball again and periods 7 and 8 were scheduled for fashion design in room 186 with Pierce.

Students participated in activities with the younger kids by showing them around the school and engaging them in activities. While some younger kids chose to participate in the fun activities planned for them, some of the older kids stayed in their parent’s classrooms and used the day as homework catch-up time. Photography teacher Afua Kyeremeh’s niece, eighth grader Ama Bolton said, “I’ve just been doing work from school and have been helping around.”

The day gave her a chance to experience the atmosphere of high school. Bolton said, “I like it, cool atmosphere.”
Students enjoyed seeing little kids running around the school and fooling around as they lightened the atmosphere and brought smiles to both staff and students alike. Junior Brenden Famulare said, “On Take Your Child to Work Day it was relaxing, and we should make it more than once a year. Seeing little kids in your classroom settles down the environment for everyone, even making it easier to learn and perform better in class.”
To several students, Take Your Child to Work Day was a shock, as they forgot the day existed. Senior Wes Greenberg said, “I was really surprised when I saw Mr. Herzon first period bring his daughter to class. I was so confused on what was going on.”

In all, students said they enjoyed the day and meeting their teacher’s children. It gave a sneak peek to students into their teacher’s personal life outside of school and even revealed some of their silly personality around their kids.