New Dunkin’ Donuts opening locally

Photo used with permission from Google Commons

Dunkin’ Donuts Drive-Thru in the state of Connecticut represents a similar model to one coming to Travillah shopping center soon.

A new Dunkin’ Donuts is opening in Travillah shopping center in a section where the Capital One bank currently is. Since being acquired by the major restaurant company Inspire Brands, opening in former bank areas has been a common theme for Dunkin’ whenever they  expand. The reason behind choosing a bank set up is because the structure allows for an easy installation of Drive-Thru windows. 

With Travilah shopping center being at the center of the Universities of Shady Grove, this drive-thru approach could prove to be effective as students are often looking for a quick bite to eat before and in between classes. By having a drive-thru option, students and other customers can get their orders in a quick and easy process. The Universities of Shady Grove is also close to a senior housing complex, so the restaurant is easily accessible for seniors and those who are have special needs. In addition, this allows a wide and diverse scope of customers to come to this Dunkin’ location.

Another benefit to being near the Universities of Shady Grove is the parking options.These include both the shopping center itself and the parking behind the university buildings. This contrasts to that of the Fallsgrove parking, which is congested and confusing due to the narrow entrance and general crowdedness of the area. Along with the parking aspect, being in the Travilah shopping center rather than Fallsgrove is a huge plus because it eliminates potential competition. Fallsgrove, which is a popular spot to hang out for students here at the school, already has a Starbucks and Krispy Kreme. Starbucks has a wide selection of coffee while Krispy Kreme has a wide variety of doughnuts. Dunkin’ offers both of these options. So by being in a separate shopping center than these competing locations, there is more opportunity for business due to the wider variety of menu options and because it isn’t interfering with a pre-existing spot for students. The only other competitive location that has coffee or doughnuts in Travillah shopping center is an Ethiopian coffee shop called Black Lion Cafe. However this cafe only has only one location and is a less well-known company. So while loyal customers will still likely support this small business, Black Lion Cafe will likely not take away from potential customers at this new Dunkin’ Donuts either.

Overall, due to its proximity to the Universities of Shady Grove, parking advantages, wide menu selection and more, this new Dunkin’ location could be primed for success.