Is Valentine’s Day overrated?

Photo by Heerah Jayakumar

Sophomores Maggie Hennessy, Maria Daraselia and Sana Majmudar celebrate Valentine’s Day with friends at Rockville Town Center. Earlier they had matcha before Daraselia decided to propose to Hennessy in the middle of a street. “I was so surprised when Maria decided to propose to me in front of all our friends, but I knew the answer was yes,” Hennessy said.

As another Valentine’s Day passed, the grumblings of people who hate the holiday got ever- louder, and people complaining about PDA made their feelings clear. There were also clever marketing schemes and the horror of seeing red bedazzled hearts everywhere. Others though, couldn’t wait to get a box of chocolate, buy someone flowers or show their appreciation for those around them.

No matter which way you sway, there’s always something for someone, whether it’s buying candy the day after at half off, or a romantic candlelit dinner. “I do not think Valentine’s day is overrated, I think it’s really nice. It’s a day to appreciate and celebrate the loved ones in your life, whether that is a Valentine or a friend. It’s a fun day just to appreciate one another and have a good time,” freshman Sol Berrellez said.

While people may consider Valentine’s day as something to celebrate with family, friends and everyone in between, some could also see it as something strictly for people in relationships. “Valentine’s day is an excuse to show affection that couples should express on a daily basis throughout their relationship. It’s also a way to remind everyone how painfully single they are even if they don’t want to be reminded of it,” sophomore Joy Nadda said.

The sentiment that love shouldn’t be celebrated only on this day was echoed, as “It doesn’t make sense to celebrate your significant other on a single day when you should be celebrating your love with them every day,” sophomore Anton Obolensky said.

Valentine’s day spending can also be wasteful and detrimental to the environment. Every year, Americans buy over 58 million pounds of chocolate for Valentine’s Day, which represents an increase of 9 million kilograms of CO2. Most waste made from plastic packaging, cards and the disposing of flowers can’t be recycled and ends up in landfills. There are always a number of ways to make celebrations greener though, by using less single-use plastic, more paper and buying fewer imported flowers. While there are complaints about the day, it’s also a beloved tradition, celebrated since around the 14th Century. “I love Valentine’s day. I think it’s nice to celebrate those who you love,” junior Brielle Rudolph said.

Even if it’s a little cheesy and corporate, it can be nice to get together with friends and appreciate each other’s company with “Galentine’s Day”: going out with friends the day before Valentine’s. “Galentine’s is something my friend group missed out on this year, and we were really upset about it. I love getting dressed up and going to cute little cafes with them,” sophomore Lindsey Zuniga said.

Ultimately, there’s no harm in spreading the love. Even without a significant other, people can still find ways to appreciate loved ones around them and show how much they care, especially if they don’t do that often. There’s always a way to say “I love you,” if you forget to remind those around you.