Students prepare for SAT, ACT

Students prepare for SAT/ACT with studying and tutoring.

Image used with permission from Wiki Commons

From tutoring sessions, to preparation and hours of studying, the SAT and ACT is a stressful and time consuming endeavor for students. The SAT and ACT are typically taken by juniors, and focus on school curriculum-based skills. The ACT features four sections of multiple choice questions: English, math, reading and science. The SAT contains an equal number of multiple choice sections, but with another math section in place of a science.

Students have the option to take both tests but most only choose to take one as the preparation and studying for both tests differs. For students who are stronger in math, taking the SAT is likely the most sensible option. For those stronger in English and reading, the ACT seems preferable. The SAT is scored out of 1600 and the ACT is on a 36-point scale but each is scored differently.

With colleges adopting test-optional policies, students no longer have the same pressure of being required to submit their scores.

Junior Evan Geisner decided to take the ACT as he feels his strength in reading and science will give him the best chance of being successful. Geisner said “I really felt after taking the pretests that my strengths as a student would be shown in the ACT.”

Geisner, who has now taken the ACT four times, is waiting to see the score on his most recent test before deciding whether to take another test. Geisner said, “I know it sounds extreme but I have a score in mind I want to earn and will take it until I earn that score.”

Geisner, who studies on average eight hours a week, takes one full practice test each weekend in preparation for the official test. Geisner feels the work is boring but does it due to its importance in the college admissions process. Geisner said, “I hate doing the prep work but I do it in this routine as my score has improved.”

Junior Kyle Chen elected to take the SAT as his strongest class is math and feels the SAT test content is easier than the ACT material. Chen has taken one official SAT test and studies two hours a week to help prepare himself for the test. Chen said, “Studying is extremely boring and there is nothing enjoyable about the process. Based on the colleges I am looking at, I am unsure how many tests I will take as my first test score is in range for schools I am applying to.”

Preparing for the SAT and ACT is often an arduous process with vast amounts of practice and work. Every student has their own method and routine that helps prepare them for their test and to receive the results they are hoping for.