Giving back to the community this holiday season

Photo courtesy Paper Bridges

Junior Jessica Chen, sophomore Emma Yuan and freshman Ryan Shin make cards with Paper Bridges. The club is working to connect students with Pen Pals from the Rockville Senior Center.

How to donate within school

Clubs within the school are doing various collections of items. The Patriot Ambassadors and NHS have both organized Thanksgiving/winter food drives. Donations can be made in a box outside of room 262. Similarly, the SGA and NHS are working on a toy drive, in which students can donate new toys to children in need through the Toys for Tots charity.

Junior Naomi Esterowitz and senior Julia Lvovsky have worked alongside the SGA to organize a coat drive, where new and lightly used coats will be donated to Ukraine. A large box sits just outside of the main office, and will be open until winter break for donations. “(The coat drive)is important because these children and adults in Ukraine are left in the cold of the war with nothing and even giving anything can save lives,” Esterowitz said.

Families4Families will be holding a food drive on Jan. 21, where students can sign up to donate specific food, or volunteer through a Sign-up Genius, which can be found on the club’s Instagram page.
Additionally, Paper Bridges is allowing students to connect with a pen pal from the Rockville Senior Center this whole year. If students are interested in this program, an interest form can be found on the club’s Instagram. “Giving during the holidays is important because it helps spread love around the world,” Paper Bridges member Troy Bailey said.

The iDream of Dance club is offering a costume drive for dancers and other performers to donate their lightly used costumes. The donation box can be found outside the main office. Finally, a donation box for the NHS and Kindness for Cancer pajama drive can be found in room 152.

Lastly, one of the most beneficial things a student can do is to donate blood. On Dec. 13, Inova will be collecting blood in the lower gym between 8 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.. Students must be over 16 years old and 110 pounds to donate, and must have a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian. Forms and a sign up sheet can be found in room 180.

Senior Karen Potts is looking forward to donating blood, and supports other students doing the same. “I know there’s always a need for blood donors, so I think it’s important that if I can do something that may seem so little to me, to do it, because it could really go a long way for someone who needs blood, and could even save a life,” Potts said.

Ways to Donate Outside of School

The City of Rockville and Montgomery county are both offering numerous opportunities for people to volunteer and donate. The City of Rockville Holiday Drive is collecting food, toys, money, gift cards, and books for Rockville families in need. Volunteer opportunities can be found on Rockville Volunteer website or on the Montogmery County Volunteer Center Website, and SSL hours may be available for students.