Maryland star Katie Ledecky dominates Olympics

Photo used with permission from Google Commons

Katie Ledecky wears her gold medal after the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Representing the USA and Maryland at the 2016 Summer Olympics, Katie Ledecky approaches the finish line 12 seconds ahead of her competition. On pace for a gold medal in the women’s 800m freestyle, she reached the finish line and broke` both the Olympic and World record at just 19 years old.

According to the website teamusa.org, Katie Ledecky was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Bethesda . At just 15 years old, she made her first appearance at the summer London Olympics in 2012, where she won her first gold medal when she competed in the women’s 800m freestyle. Ten years later, Katie Ledecky is a 25-year-old swimmer with 10 total medals, including seven gold medals and three silver medals.

Katie Ledecky found her love of swimming at the age of six, as she was influenced by her brother and mother who both swam. Since then, she has set 14 records ranging from high school records, all the way to World Records at the Olympics. “Her achievements prove that anyone can succeed with the right attitude and perseverance,” Junior Arjun Ram said.

Ledecky being from Maryland surprised Ram. “When I first saw her I thought what she was doing was amazing, and then I found out she was from Maryland. It is just awesome that someone that good at what they do grew up right near me,” Ram said.

She attended Stoneridge School of the Sacred Heart High School when only after her freshmen year, she won her first gold medal in the Olympics. “I couldn’t even imagine being that good or having that much focus in a situation where I am competing in front of millions,” Ram said.

Her success in both the Olympics and world championships has influenced the mindset of junior swimmer Will Jong. “It’s inspiring that someone from where I grew up is swimming in the Olympics,” Jong said.

Her consistent and powerful work ethic has helped her become a nationally-known swimmer. She has motivated swimmers and athletes worldwide, just as Ram said, “The success of Katie Ledecky has shown me that with hard work, anything you dream of is achievable.”

She constantly trains her skills and strength, in the gym and at the pool. “On a hard day, I’ll have two swim practices and a weight session,” Katie Ledecky said to E! News.

Katie Ledecky practiced in Maryland when she was growing up.“It’s incredible that I have possibly trained with the same people that trained with Katie Ledecky,” Sophomore swimmer Alara Erkan said.

The first time Ledecky appeared in an Olympic race she was only 15 and shocked the world. “She was younger than I am now when she won her first gold,” Jong said.