School now returning to normal

Photo by Maya Halpern

Seniors Kate Messite and Jamie Zweig eat together at lunch without having to worry about social distancing.

There is no doubt that last year felt different due to the sudden return from virtual school, but does this year feel normal again? What even is normal?

The Covid year was difficult for students, who faced an even more stressful situation when returning. Last year, students were thrown back into a heavy workload, an overwhelming number of tests, and the stressful atmosphere of high school. This year, both students and teachers felt more prepared for the post-Covid school year. Curriculums didn’t have to adapt significantly compared to the year before. Junior Ann Sellers said, “Last year it was a huge change switching to five days a week with seven classes in a day, but this year, it doesn’t feel much worse. While switching from sophomore to junior year was not difficult; I felt equipped for the expectations and not as thrown in.”

With students prepared for the new school year, they are able to enjoy more of what high school has to offer. The club fair brought opportunities for students to make new friends, as well as football games and homecoming, with a large turnout. Students are more connected to their grades and school as a community rather than drowning in stress. Sports have fully returned and teams can bond outside of school without concern for restrictions. Senior Sofie Vinick said, “Being able to be more engaged in the school through sports, clubs, other extracurriculars, and an easier time hanging out with friends has helped this year feel like normal. Everything is running how it used to, allow[ing] my friends and I to finally take a breath.”

Strict Covid regulations have been done away with, furthering a pre-Covid feeling of normalcy. Masks are now completely optional, the quarantine period has been reduced from 10 days to five, and sports teams are now allowed to fully practice inside or outside without masks. 

No longer having to worry about forgetting a mask or sitting next to someone with the fear of Covid, allows students to feel less worried about health and well-being. They are free to turn their concerns to school and learning. Sophomore Ashi Stanislaus said, “Not having the mask regulations has made school feel a lot lighter, and like what we were used to before everything was shut down. Also not having to wear masks inside has allowed me to enjoy being on the school’s poms team without overheating. It’s nice being able to see everyone’s smiles.”

This year brings hope for future years to be truly normal and for students to be fully prepared for what lies ahead of them. No more scrambling to get caught up, squeezing in old lessons, and overwhelming feelings of stress (outside of what comes with a standard high school year). Finally, the lingering effects of Covid and online school are fading away.