Students swing into spring break

Photo by Yael Rosen

Freshman Tali Rosen starts to pack for her Bahamas trip coming up over spring break.

The month of March welcomes March Madness. This  means not only basketball games, but also students’ anticipation of spring break in early April. This spring break will bring a sense of normalcy back for students since last spring break everyone had to deal with Covid-19 restrictions. Students aren’t the only ones counting the days until spring break. Teachers also look forward to this time off from school as they plan family vacations and have time away from the classroom.

Last year Covid-19 had a number of countries on lockdown, but most countries had lots of restrictions even if one could travel there. Students now will enjoy traveling unrestricted with their family. Freshman Tali Rosen is taking this time to travel to the Bahamas with her family. She is excited to travel outside the country again since she was unable to with Covid. Other students are choosing to travel outside of the country as well. Junior Shelby Parsons is taking this time to travel with her family to Italy. “Over spring break I am visiting my sister Hayley in Italy. I am super excited to go shopping and be a tourist in the country as well as eat a lot of Italian food,” Parsons said. 

Other juniors are taking the time to do college tours as well as study for college entrance exams like SAT and ACT.  Junior Parker Lebowitz is traveling around the East Coast visiting colleges during spring break. “I am touring Pitt, Ohio State and Indiana. I think it is important to tour colleges because it allows you to experience different environments. You can see what fits your personality best and also your career goals. Spring break is the best time because you have a week without school and you do not have to worry about missing anything,” Lebowitz said. 

There are also baseball and soccer tournaments that teams are traveling to. However, not everyone is traveling or studying. Some students are taking this week to relax, catch up on their favorite Netflix show, do some casual reading and just stay at home. For seniors, this is a chance to travel as well. Students may take this time to visit the college they have recently committed to or that they want to attend. Other seniors are choosing to take a trip with friends to celebrate themselves as the school year and high school comes to an end. 

With spring sports starting, some students are also taking this opportunity to improve their skills and practice. Sophomore Justin Karis is on the junior varsity baseball team. His family is not traveling over spring break, so he is taking the time to practice for their upcoming games. “In addition to playing video games over spring break, I am taking the time to practice baseball with some of my teammates in order to help the team be successful this season,” Karis said.

Students are being productive during their spring break by practicing their sport, studying for college entrance exams and traveling for information about their intended schools. Others are having family time, while others are just taking it easy and relaxing. No matter what each student is doing, it certainly seems everyone is looking forward to a week away from school.