Groundhog shows huge spike in popularity among students

Photo by Mason Berk

Junior Ryan Kunst and his brother Matthew celebrate Groundhog Day by posing with a picture of Punxsutawney Phil.

On Feb. 2, junior Ryan Kunst could be heard screaming in the hallways “I love Groundhog Day baby woooooooo…” Kunst is not alone in his passion for the major national holiday as multiple other students have shared their excitement. 

The rich history of Groundhog Day started in 1887 when a groundhog in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, decided whether America was going to have six more weeks of winter, or go straight into spring. The groundhog was dubbed Phil by the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club and roughly 13 different groundhogs have been chosen as weather-declaring groundhogs. The club claims that Phil has lived for more than 130 years but he is most likely replaced every decade as a groundhog can only live 14 years.

Students have a variety of opinions regarding Groundhog Day. “I think it’s a very underrated holiday; it decides if we’ll have a longer winter or if we’ll begin spring, so whatever side you’re rooting for adds a level of anticipation that other holidays can’t replicate,” sophomore Travon Moorer said.

On Feb. 2 Phil woke up from his cave and saw his shadow, which means six more weeks of winter. This news caused a stir among students as they had differing reactions to the event. “At first I was pretty sad at the more winter weeks ruling and I started to load up my sad song playlist but I soon realized this could be a blessing in disguise. I always loved the rich traditions in winter and the fun things I can do in the wintertime every year,” freshman Shayan Kurup said.

On the other hand, “This actually sucks. I hate winter,” junior Gillian Berman said.

Although students are passionate about the national holiday, senior Miles Wiley is an avid Groundhog Day hater. “I’m not a big farm guy and I just don’t pay attention to it because it’s more made up than Santa,” Wiley said, 

Groundhog Day was especially groundbreaking this year because celebrity groundhog Miltown Mel died just days before the holiday. The cause of death is unknown, but it is perceived to be related to a natural death in hibernation.

People were devastated.“I’m going to miss Mel. He was my favorite animal since that lizard from the Geico commercials. Although I’m down in the dumps about this right now I will get over this because at the end of the day he lived a great life and wore his heart on his sleeve everyday,” junior Saurav Khetan said in tears. 

Although the groundhogs are treasured, studies shown by the Canadian Weather Service and the National Climatic Data Center, show negligible correlation to the groundhogs’ decisions and the actual results of weather being predicted. The data shockingly shows that Puxatany Phil predicts the outcome correctly only 50% of the time and that a coin has the same chance of picking the correct weather as Phil. There still is hope for the groundhog lovers as Staten Island Chuck has an 80% accuracy rate.

The rise in popularity of Groundhog Day in the school gives optimism for school-wide celebrations next year as Khetan plans on hosting a Groundhog Day Party in 2023 and Kunst is in the process of crafting emails to school administration concerning an off day in February 2023 for remembrance and celebrations.