Students have options in where to donate for holidays

Photo by Jolie Graham

Senior Devon Graham purchases St. Jude’s gift cards to donate to families in need this holiday season.

As the year narrows down onto the holiday season, the community offers a way to highlight our gratitude and appreciation for the different aspects of our lives. Part of showing our thankfulness resides in giving back to our community.  Not everyone has blankets, or a roof over their head to keep them warm at night. Certain families aren’t able to provide food every night, especially not the huge feasts we may be used to when celebrating with our families. In order to keep the spirit of giving during the holiday, students are giving back by donating to our local organizations.

A toy fire truck is something a child dreams of when they are little. The Marine Toys for Tots Foundation was created in 1991 by request of the Marine Corps and provides a way to help that child get their fire truck. “The primary goal of Marine Toys for Tots is, through the gift of a new toy, to help bring the joy of Christmas and send a message of hope to America’s less fortunate children,” according to the Toys for Tots company. Donations can be made online and there are bins for unwrapped toys in many of the department stores around us.

Our Student Government Association is also running a Toys for Tots drive where students can donate toys  in the Media Center, amongst other locations, and online through the Toys for Tots website. Last year, it was only online due to virtual school but this year they have created a physical toy drop box too to amp up the holiday spirit of giving back. “This is an annual toy drive for the SGA and it goes with our theme this year of ‘Get up, get out, get active!’ as well. It is also a great way to give back to the community as well as show your appreciation for it. If you want to make someone’s day, this is the perfect way,” senior Lizzy Jack said.

“Holiday Giving” a non-profit organization that the city of Gaithersburg has set up this year. Their mission is that the donations allow for the distribution of food and gifts to  families who share in the collective holiday joy of the Gaithersburg community. You are only able to donate on their website as they are only accepting monetary donations due to the pandemic.  

The Washington Teachers Union has partnered with the Wright Foundation to give the gift of warmth. They ask you to consider donating new or gently used winter coats, gear and unwrapped toys. You can donate online and at locations featured on their website. “It’s important to give back to your community because you have to give back what they have given you. It’s especially important to donate clothes during this time because it sometimes gets super cold during the winter time in Maryland. I dislike being cold and I don’t wish that upon anyone else,” junior Max Mirsky said. 

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital finds cures for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Their mission is to make sure no kid is denied any sort of treatment no matter their race, religion and their family’s financial status. For the holidays, they have created card giving in which you can donate a card to a kid and the proceeds go to ensure that no family has to pay a bill at their hospital. You can purchase boxed holiday cards from the St. Jude Gift Shop inspired by one of their patients’ drawings and or honor loved ones through an online donation.