New episode of Grey’s Anatomy shocks fans

Photo by Samantha Topf

The second half of Grey’s Anatomy Season 17 aired on Mar. 11.

Grey’s Anatomy season 17 was a crazy ride for fans. All of the cliffhangers right before the mid-season finale had viewers excited for the show’s return on Mar. 11.

This season’s major plot twists were beach scenes, which were a result of Merideth Grey’s hallucinations caused by her Coronavirus-induced coma.

The return of  Dereck Shepherd (Patrick Dempsey) and George O’Malley (T.R Knight) left all Grey’s Anatomy fans in shock. Grey’s Anatomy has always done an incredible job at talking about current events and relevant topics. This season was no different. 

Season 17 brought attention to the COVID-19 global pandemic and how it is affecting the frontline workers as well as the rest of the community. The season shows the reality of the pandemic through the stressed, tired, and angry doctors at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. 

The midseason finale aired in December, leaving fans with tons of questions. Finally, Mar. 11 brought the premiere everyone was waiting for. “So far this season has been really good with so many guest appearances while also talking about COVID. I  wait for the rest of the season,” sophomore Samantha Goldberg said.

They do way too many Station-19 crossovers.

— Jessica Winson

Spoiler alert! The two-hour midseason crossover premiere event started with an episode of the Grey’s Anatomy spinoff, Station-19. Many fans oppose these crossovers, as they are too long. “They do way too many Station-19 crossovers. As students we don’t have time to watch two full hours of a show just to understand what is going on in one,” sophomore Jessica Winson said.

The return of Station-19’s biggest surprise was the ending. The episode’s main plot line follows Andrew Deluca (Giacomo Gianniotti) and his sister Carina Deluca (Stefania Spampinato), who were following the sex trafficker.

Andrew and Carina are still following the woman, Opal, during the return of Station-19. They follow her through the streets of Seattle and onto a train, even though the firefighters at Station-19 warn them against it.

Andrew gets off the train and follows Opal through the train station, she gets arrested and everyone is happy. But at the shocking end of Station-19 we see Andrew badly injured after being stabbed. 

Once Station-19 ended, the crossover went right into Grey’s Anatomy. We see Andrew rushed to the hospital, where everyone is shocked to see him injured.“I thought the episode on Thursday was super super sad and kind of uncalled for. It is definitely not my favorite season,” freshman Madison Moorhead said.

Just when you think it’s enough sadness for one episode, Dr. Jo Wilson
(Camilla Luddington) loses a patient who she connected with during the midseason finale. The most heartbreaking part about this plotline was the fact that this patient never got to hold her newborn baby.

If you still don’t think that’s sad enough, Meredith’s sisters Amelia Shepherd (Caterina Scorsone) and Maggie Pierce (Kelly McCreary)  decided to tell Zola Grey (Aniela Gumbs) the realities about Meredith. In a heartbreaking scene, Zola explains to her aunts not to tell her other two siblings because they were too young to understand.

After all the twists and turns, it’s revealed that Andrew Deluca died in surgery with a shocking scene on the beach with Merideth. The show ends with him seeing his mom and the two of them walking down the beach.

The trailer for the next episode shows another special appearance from Patrick Dempsey and Grey’s Anonymous Instagram revealed exciting news about the return of Sarah Drew’s character Dr. April Kepner. Fans are excited for what surprises are next.