Passionate musician leads marching band

Since senior Kaylee Mina first picked up a clarinet in fourth grade, music has been her passion. Now, she is the drum major of the marching band. She can be seen proudly leading the large group at football games, pep rallies and other school events.
Mina has an extensive history with music. In fourth grade, she joined the elementary school band and started playing clarinet. She continued school band throughout middle school at Frost and also began some lessons outside of school.
Last year, she was the section leader for the low woodwinds in the marching band. In this role she directed the piccolos, oboes, clarinets, bass clarinets and bassoons. Mina feels that being a sectional leader prepared her well for this year. Drum Major is not a role that she takes lightly. She has dreamed of being Drum Major “ever since freshman year.” She is devoted to the role and the welfare of the marching band as a whole.
As the Drum Major, Mina has roles and responsibilities. During any given rehearsal, she is responsible for getting the band in the right formation, leading the group in warm-up exercises and helping ensure a smooth flow to each rehearsal. During performances, the entire marching band depends on her leadership. Not only is she in charge of leading the band, but she can also be seen adding to the showmanship of the group by incorporating in her own moves. More than anything, she occupies a highly esteemed position that any young musician in the band can look up to.
Practicing almost everyday after school, the marching band community is close-knit. Mina said that her favorite part of the band is “the close community” created by the members. “We are like a family,” Mina said.
Having been playing as a group since early this summer, she said that on top of being extremely used to playing with each other, the band enjoys spending time together.
As for Mina’s hopes for this year and beyond, she wants to gain important leadership skills and become a more experienced musical leader. With aspirations to become a music educator in the future, this year is important for her to become familiar with directing music students.

Josh Messitte

Arts Editor