Tips on how to stay motivated heading into second semester

Photo courtesy of Erin Chang

Senior Erin Chang completes her workout every morning in order to keep routine and stay motivated.

With a new semester starting online, students may feel more unmotivated and be procrastinating more than ever before. Setting up a schedule and participating in a hobby can help students stay motivated.

Although it is hard being at home day in and day out, setting up a routine is essential to stay motivated and on top of school work. “I try to workout at least three times a week after school. I try to stay active as much as I can because I spend my day in front of a computer. After working out I start my homework,” junior Angela Roach said. 

Not everyone enjoys working out on the daily or even a few times a week, but it is important to stay active and take a break from the screens. It could be as simple as going on a walk or playing a sport for 30 minutes with a friend or family member. According to mayoclinic.org, “Exercise in almost any form can act as a stress reliever. Being active can boost your feel-good endorphins and distract you from daily worries.” 

In order for me to stay motivated, I have to make sure I do not get overstressed and I have to take time out of my day for myself.

— Erin Chang

Another way to stay motivated is to focus on a hobby and throw yourself into it. Taking time to focus on your mental health by doing activities that you love should be a top priority. Since students have been in quarantine for almost a year now, some have picked up new hobbies. “In order for me to stay motivated, I have to make sure I do not get overstressed and I have to take time out of my day for myself. For me that is usually working out before school – especially running – and also baking and reading,” senior Erin Chang said. 

Setting daily or weekly goals for yourself can help you stay motivated and feel productive. When setting these goals, they need to be realistic and attainable, but also you need to remember to reward yourself when a task is completed. An example is doing 30 minutes of homework and notes and then using your phone or talking to friends for 10 minutes. It is important to remember to reward yourself and to make the most out of every day. 

While staying home, students struggle with not having the connection to their friends that they had every day with school. It is important to carve out time each day to catch up with friends and have that connection, even if it is through a screen or at a socially-distanced hang out. “I make it a priority to catch up with friends to distract me from everything going on and keep a sense of normality in my life,” senior Ryan Meyer said.