MAP testing disappoints as students take it for the first time in years

Jake Dolan

Junior Jake Dolan takes the MAP practice test from his home on Oct. 18.

Due to complications with online learning, Montgomery County opted into taking the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) test this year as they weren’t able to give the PSAT. As this is the first time in a few years some have taken the MAP, students were left with differing opinions.

Some students felt that MAP testing was a waste of time since it seemed as if their peers didn’t try their best on the test, and that the test meant less than the PSAT students would normally take if school was in-person. Junior Adalyn Gully was one of those students. “I thought this year it [MAP testing] was kind of a waste of time because it was so early and nobody wanted to do it or try their best,” Gully said.

Teacher Keith Yanity agrees that students may have not tried their hardest. “I think it is a hard sell to students when they don’t see the incentive to perform well. All they were told is that it is a measurement of what they know and to try their best,” Yanity said.

Other students also felt that MAP testing was a waste of time, but for different reasons. Sophomore Lindsey Walter said that MAP testing was a waste of time as it doesn’t affect college admissions, and that some students were unable to take it properly due to technology issues within their homes. “In general I felt MAP testing was not great because we haven’t taken it in years and I don’t see how we can get a baseline off of it,” Walter said.

Perhaps this data is still used by the school in some way to determine student placement.

— Keith Yanity

Unlike students, Yanity doesn’t necessarily feel the test was a waste of time. Although the PSAT would be more useful for students as it offers scholarship opportunities and a baseline of what their SAT scores may look like, MAP testing may not be completely useless, contrary to student belief. “Perhaps this data is still used by the school in some way to determine student placement,” Yanity said.