Coronavirus impacts on high school sports

Ethan Stoller

Junior Bradley Luts hopes to get back on the field with his team for the upcoming spring season.

Schools around the country were shut down due to COVID-19, and ever since counties everywhere have been attempting to bring back the Spring 2021 seasons for high school sports. Students in MCPS have not attended in-person classes since March 13, making it difficult for schools to reopen their sports programs.

On July 21 the MCPS Board of Education announced that all public schools would be closed for the first semester, which runs until Jan. 29. The closing of schools resulted in the cancellation of fall and winter sports. Although the plan for the second semester is uncertain, teams are still preparing for the spring season. Athletes are playing in fall league games and are starting preseason training. The current plan is to move the fall and winter sports seasons into the spring, COVID depending, while playing spring sports as well. The goal is to shorten the seasons in order to make time for every sport to have an opportunity to compete.

I think they’ve got a good plan. They are being very proactive in creating opportunities for the seasons to happen, starting with our virtual seasons this fall as an opportunity to connect with athletes and introduce them to the program in a safe way.

— Ralph Bernardo

Varsity lacrosse coach Ralph Bernardo is optimistic that the season will take place. Bernardo said, “I think they’ve got a good plan. They are being very proactive in creating opportunities for the seasons to happen, starting with our virtual seasons this fall as an opportunity to connect with athletes and introduce them to the program in a safe way.”

Junior Nicole Jezek is approaching her third year on the girls’ lacrosse team and hopes that she can play this season. Jezek knows it is not going to be easy to get back on the field, but she is staying optimistic for whatever happens next. Jezek said, “I am not exactly sure how they are going to bring the spring season back, but I strongly believe that the county will find a way to make it work even if it feels different due to COVID precautions.”