Students mimic school environment at Home

Sean Kim

Sophomore Nick Kim on Sept. 9 eats lunch the same way he does at school: ready to listen to music and on his phone. After he eats his lunch he goes outside to see his friends. Photo by Sean Kim.

The transition from being in a classroom surrounded by 30 students to complete independence within students’ and teachers’ homes has been difficult. However, there are ways this transition can be facilitated by making the home environment mock the school environment.

The way students start their morning can have an effect on their entire day. One suggestion is to take a shower first thing in the morning to feel fresh and get dressed in clothes for school. “For most of the summer I wore sweatpants and sweatshirts when at home even when I worked on my college applications. So now when I wake up I put on decent clothes and try to look presentable in front of a camera. Pajamas aren’t my thing on camera,” senior Aliya Faisal said.

Once ready for the day at 8:45 a.m., sitting at a desk or table as opposed to sitting in a bed is recommended. According to the Pepperdine Graphic, “Working or doing homework in bed will reduce one’s focus because most people tend to associate their beds with comfort and sleep. Doing such activities in bed can lead to a deviation of the brain to become more lazy and possibly fall asleep.” 

In addition to just having a desk, a designated work space that students and teachers can use just for school is also recommended. “I have created a work space with a desk, a place for a monitor, and some plants that I purchased to help make the space feel welcoming,” Capps and Algebra 2 teacher Madison Averill said.

Students are already staring at a screen all day so they should put their phone away while in class. The format of this school year requires more focus than ever. Texting and snap chatting friends during class is not ideal. “I recommend putting your phone far away from you during Zoom classes. In school, teachers would have helped remind you to put your phone away, but in this setting it is your responsibility to remove the distraction,” Averill said.

I recommend putting your phone far away from you during Zoom classes. In school, teachers would have helped remind you to put your phone away, but in this setting it is your responsibility to remove the distraction.

— Madison Averill

Due to the increase in screen time, students should try to get as much fresh air outside as possible. Students can bring lawn chairs outside to sit at breaks during classes and to stay active students can take shorts walks at their breaks and longer walks at lunchtime. Another break activity suggestion is yoga and stretching. “At home I eat lunch at the normal time and go outside with my friends just like I do at school,” sophomore Nick Kim said. 

Another way to make home like real school is to follow a consistent sleep schedule, even on weekday nights. “On school days I usually go to sleep around 11 p.m. and I also wake up at 8 a.m. everyday,” Faisal said.