Senior Ben Bloch excels as tri-athete: golf, wrestling, lacrosse

Tony Kosiya

Playing three sports is uncommon for students here and anywhere. It takes a ton of time and skill to be able to do this. Senior Ben Bloch is one of the very few students who plays a sport in every season. Bloch is a starter on golf, wrestling and lacrosse. “Playing three sports keeps me in shape throughout the year,” Bloch said.

Bloch has been on the golf team all four years of high school. This past year was Bloch’s first time making it to states, shooting the best round of his career. Bloch plans to continue playing golf after high school as a hobby. “Ben has always been fun to be around on the course and I’m happy that we have been able to be teammates,” junior Ethan Chelf said.

Bloch has also been on the varsity wrestling team all four years. His passion for wrestling came from his dad who wrestled in college. Wrestling takes a lot of skill and you need to be in really good shape. Bloch started his freshman year wrestling in the 106-weight class. Over the years Bloch has gotten bigger and stronger, forcing him to wrestle in the 122-weight class this past season. Bloch made it to regionals and was one win away from advancing to states. “There is no better feeling then pinning someone against the mat,” Bloch said.

Bloch has played lacrosse for the past three years; the first two years he was on JV and last year he was on varsity. Bloch’s sophomore year on JV was his favorite year playing lacrosse. Bloch was a captain and led the team in scoring with 36 goals. Bloch got called up to varsity at the end of that season. He had a harder transition last year on varsity because of the size and physicality difference.

Bloch has been playing lacrosse with his friends for years and it is something that they have bonded over. “I’m going to miss playing lacrosse because I’ve made so many new friends over the years playing lax,” Bloch said.