Wrestling looks to surprise with deep run in playoffs

The wrestling team finished the regular season with a record of 4-10. They also played in a couple tournaments and all of these matches were in preparation for the playoffs.
The Patriots started off their playoff run at counties on Feb. 21 and 22 at Gaithersburg.

Eight players were initially supposed to represent the Patriots at counties. Some were not able to attend due to illnesses or other reasons. The eight who were supposed to wrestle were seniors Ben Bloch, Henry Woolley, Behnam Sari, juniors Eric Liau, Jason Liau, Thomas Adams, sophomore Cade Christensen and freshman Matthias Onel.
Sari, Bloch and Eric Liau all placed in the tournament. Sari said, “Although the season isn’t over yet, I am going to miss wrestling with all of my teammates and competing in these tournaments every year.”

Eric Liau placed second in the 113 weight class. Liau got a first round by and then proceeded to beat his next three opponents. He won in a close match in the semi finals that went to decision. Despite giving it all he had, Liau fell to BCC’s 113 in a close match. It came down to a decision and Liau took home second place.

Bloch placed sixth in the 120 weight class. Bloch also received a first round bye and then ended up losing in the next round. He then went on a string of wins in the consolation bracket. In the fifth placed match he fell to Walter Johnson’s 120 and finished in sixth place.

Sari placed fifth in the 285 weight class.Sari received two byes that took him straight to the quarterfinals. He won that match, but then ended up falling to Magruder’s 285 in the semi-finals. In the consolation bracket he won the fifth place match over Springbrook’s 285. Bloch said, “Counties were good overall, I just wish more of my teammates were able to wrestle. However, it was good preparation for regionals.”

The Patriots competed in the regional tournament on Feb. 28 and Feb. 29, too late to be included in this issue. Woolley said, “ I’ve had a lot of fun this year and I’m going to miss all of my teammates. I’m hoping my teammates and I can end on a good note in regionals and states.”
For the seniors, this is their last ride and they are looking to end it on a high note by winning a playoff game. The seniors want to extend their season because for most of these seniors, this will be the last time that they will step foot on a wrestling mat to represent their school in a sport.