Despite off season, JV hockey sees bright future

The JV hockey team finished the season with a record of 2-6, with a 3-2 win against Walter Johnson, and a 4-3 win over Richard Montgomery, and losses against Whitman, BCC twice, Churchill, Northwest/Quince Orchard, and Rockville/Magruder. Sophomore Spencer Golub finished the season with a team best five points, with five goals.

Sophomore Miles Wiley finished up his second season with the hockey team and loved every moment of it. Wiley finished the season playing five games and notching one assist, but didn’t let that get in the way of the fun he had with his teammates. “It was an unfortunate ending to the season, but that didn’t stop me from having fun with my teammates and I am looking forward to next year’s season,” Wiley said.

Sophomore Liam Simmons has been playing hockey for a long time and has witnessed wins, losses and ties so the team struggling hasn’t ruined Simmons’ momentum. Simmons played three games and finished the season with one assist, and looks to keep grinding away so he can play for the varsity team next year. “I am going to continue to work hard and push myself to the limit so I can play for varsity next season,” Simmons said.

Sophomore Logan Simmons helped out the team in a big way by stepping up and volunteering to play goalie. Simmons normally plays forward for his club team, but when the JV team needed a hand for someone to play goalie, Simmons obliged. Simmons finished the season with a 2-5 record. “I would much rather play forward for the team but I am a team player so I know that I needed to take one for the team,” Simmons said.

The JV team prefers a more physical way of playing hockey as they had 32 penalties notching 112 penalty minutes, while their opposing teams only had 14 penalties with 44 penalty minutes. Freshman William Rusiecki had a nice contribution to the penalty minutes as he finished the season with three penalties and 14 penalty minutes. “I love to play physical, and that is just how I play, and teams should know that,” Rusiecki said.
Sophomore James Lieske finished the season with four points as he put up three goals and one assist in only five games. Lieske was switching between JV and varsity putting up one assist in 10 games. Lieske looks to play a larger role with varsity and hopefully maintain a spot next season on varsity. “I loved being able to get a feel for the varsity level, and hopefully our coach will let me stay on varsity,” Lieske said.