Skating into the new year

The cold weather opens a seasonal activity that people of all ages can enjoy- ice skating. Whether it is indoor or outdoor, ice skating is a fun, cheap and close to home activity that students love to take part in.

If you are thinking about going to an outdoor skating rink, check out the one in Rockville Town Center. The admission for adults, children and seniors is affordable, at $9 for adults and $8 for both children and seniors. Additionally, skate rentals are $5 for everyone. This ice rink is also open for long hours, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays, noon to 10 p.m. from Mondays through Thursdays, noon to 11 p.m. on Fridays and 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays.

The ice rink is surrounded by shops and restaurants where you can enjoy a nice meal, drink or a snack before or after skating. Enjoying the outdoors with low costs and long hours, the Rockville Town Center’s ice rink is definitely one to check out. “I love going there with my friends and watching them struggle as they try to keep their balance. I recommend this to anyone who’s looking for a cute date with friends during the winter,” junior Kailah Da Silva said.

Want to stay indoors but still want to skate? Not to worry. There are two nearby indoor ice skating rinks that are fantastic- the Rockville Ice Arena and the Cabin John Ice Rink. The Rockville Ice Arena is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. from Sundays through Thursdays and is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.. Public skating costs $10 and $3.50 to rent skates. “I went to the Rockville Ice Arena multiple times. I really like it because it’s close and it’s something fun to do with friends during the winter and really gives you that winter spirit,” freshman Jessica Lee said.

The Cabin John Ice Rink is open everyday from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. and on Tuesday and Thursdays, it is open until 11:30 p.m. Kids who are three to four pay $5 for admissions everyday, kids from five to 10 pay $7 on weekdays but $8 on holidays and weekends, people ages 11 and up pay $8 everyday, and seniors ages 60 and up pay $7 on weekdays and $8 on weekends. Skate rentals are $4 for everyone, including tax.

Both these indoor ice rinks offer skating lessons as well as hockey lessons and also have great concession stands where you can enjoy a meal or a few snacks and definitely worth a visit. “I went to the Cabin John Ice Rink over winter break and I really liked it. I haven’t gone ice skating in a while but my friends and I decided to go and it was cheap. They have good snacks like chips and cookies and I had a milkshake, which was really good too,” sophomore Charlie Qin said.