Frozen II has magical debut

“Let It Go”, “Do You Want to Build a Snowman”, “Love Is an Open Door”- everyone knows the lyrics to the songs from the popular Disney movie, Frozen. Released in 2013, Frozen is a children’s movie with 7.5/10 stars on IMDb. The story revolves around Queen Elsa of Arendelle who accidendntly uses her ice powers to create an infinite winter. Her sister Anna, a mountain man named Kristoff, his reindeer Sven, and a living snowman Olaf journey through Arendelle to reverse the cold.

The sequel, Frozen II, came to theatres on Nov. 22. This time, the movie takes place during the fall. In the sequel, Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven travel through the Enchanted Forest far away from their home of Arendelle to discover the story of Elsa’s powers and learn more about the kingdom’s past.

Frozen II collected a five day estimate of $126.3 million- the most any film has made over the holiday season. This new record surpassed Lionsgate’s Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which made a whopping $109.9 million. Frozen II currently holds a 77 percent Rotten Tomatoes score and a 7.3/10 stars on IMDb- both relatively high ratings. It is also the movie currently the most watched in theatres.

The sequel however, does not have as much buzz as its original counterpart. Forbes writer Erik Kain did not prefer Frozen II over Frozen. “The plot is a convoluted mess, it does not have much of an antagonist, and the music is forgettable at best. ‘Into the Unknown’ is no ‘Let it Go,’” Kain said.
Certain students, like junior Leah Boxman, agree that the Frozen sequel could not top the first. “Don’t get me wrong, Frozen II was really good and I enjoyed it a lot, but nothing can beat the original Frozen,” Boxman said.
Others liked the movie and found it to be compelling. For senior Mia Waller, the film hit the spot. “I don’t know what it was but something about that movie just hit different. I literally cried during it,” Waller said.

What also makes the sequel so great is that the audience sees more of Anna and Elsa’s parents, King Agnarr and Queen Iduna of Arendelle. In a short clip from the first Frozen, all we know of the royal parents is that they got shipwrecked and never returned home, causing those in their kingdom to assume that they died. In the sequel, viewers learn more about the couple’s past and what actually happened to them.

Overall, Frozen II is worth the trip to your favorite movie theatre. You can hear new songs, receive more understanding of the lives of popular childhood characters and make your own opinion on whether or not the sequel or original was better.