Students share their pawsome pets

Students debate which animal makes the best pet, from dogs to cats, fish to bunnies and even snakes.

Dogs are the most popular response. “I believe that dogs make the best pets. They are so friendly and always know how to make me feel better. My dog’s name is Sadie and I’ve had her for 10 years. I never would have thought that a dog can make a persons’ life so rewarding. Every time I walk into my house, Sadie twirls around and wags her tail. I love my dog,” junior Ella Teichberg said.

Along with Teichberg, freshman Jake Konigsberg strongly believes that dogs make the best pets. “My dog, Riley, is the most playful and loving animal in the whole world. Riley is nine years old and I’ve had her since I was five. I will always think that the best pets are dogs, and nothing can change my decision,” Konigsberg said.

The popular kids’ movie, Finding Nemo, is an accurate representation of why one might believe fish to be the best pet. “I think the best pets are fish. I have two pet fish, but unfortunately they don’t have names; I call them Fish One and Fish Two. I’ve had fish for a long time but I keep on replacing them after they die every one to two years. They teach me responsibility for when I’m older because I am caring for something other than myself. They are very easy to take care of and do not require a lot of maintenance,” sophomore Daniel Lee said.

Although the typical as-seen-on-TV pet tends to be a friendly dog or cat, students have branched out and added a family addition that is somewhat out of the ordinary. A snake is typically thought of as an animal to stay clear of, or so we thought. “I have a pet corn snake named Rocket that lives in a cage on top of my dresser in my room. I think that snakes are the best pet because he is easy to take care of and not difficult to maintain. I’ve had him since I was in the sixth grade and he is the best pet ever,” junior Steven Mendelson said.

A select group of students believe that rabbits make the best pets. “I think that bunnies are the best pets, because they are so much fun to play with and really funny to watch hop around. They are also very cute. My cousin has a bunny and every time I go to her house, I spend the entire time playing with the bunny,” senior Mia Silver said.

There is a large diversity of pets among our community. “My dog is my bestfriend. His name is Guapo and he loves celery. His obsession with celery is so cute. My dog has a very high spirited personality and always has so much energy. He loves to play all day and everyday and really enjoys hanging with my friends and I. We always take him on walks and sometimes we even take him out to lunch,” senior Camila Pacheco said.