Crocs: the future of footwear

Dylan Cohen
staff writer

Crocs: perhaps the most underrated shoes to ever exist. Crocs are constantly being attacked for their looks and discomfort, but why can’t we just come to appreciate these fabulous and beautiful shoes?

Crocs haters say that Crocs do not adequately support the foot, which can lead to a variety of medical problems. While they are OK for short walks and for water activities, they should not be worn for long periods of time. According to Dr. Megan Leahy, a Chicago-based podiatrist with the Illinois Bone and Joint Institute, “When the heel is unstable, toes tend to grip which can lead to tendonitis, worsening of toe deformities, nail problems, corns and calluses. “

These haters will also say that Crocs have small bumps on the sole of the shoe. These bumps poke into people’s feet and causes discomfort for those who wear Crocs on the daily. In addition to this, people consider Crocs to be slippery. Sophomore Ellie Reiter said, “I got new Crocs yesterday and the bumps on the bottom of the shoe tickles.”

However, doctors nationwide are on their feet for long hours, so they wear the most supportive shoe, Crocs. Bumps on the shoe are only there if you don’t wear Crocs often, but after being worn for a long time, the bumps will wear down. Classic clogs are not meant to be fancy shoes, however there are Crocs that could actually be worn for fancy events, keeping you stylish and comfy at the same time.

Crocs have an innovative design that features holes along the top and side of the shoe, allowing for Jibbitz and other shoe charms to be put in. Jibbitz add a touch to Crocs that makes everyone’s Crocs unique and their own.

These are colorful and come in hundreds of designs, ranging from Batman, to Mickey Mouse, to cereal and everything in between. If you’re looking for a bold statement, you could even color code or have themes for your Jibbitz. Crocs have 26 holes for Jibbitz, and if you have all 26 filled, you’re officially cooler than everyone else. According to Crocs.com, you can “personalize your clogs for Halloween and make your own unique style statement.”

Looking for a shoe that is multi-functional and can do everything? Crocs are 100 percent waterproof, and have an adventure strap on them to use when switching between activities. Just relaxing? Put the strap in the front and relax mode is activated. Going in the ocean or playing sports? Put the strap in the back to have full protection of the foot. Now, instead of bringing two pairs of shoes on vacation, you only need to bring one pair that’s multi-functional. Did I mention that they were a space saver, too?

The solution to this heartbreaking issue of people hating on Crocs? How about let’s make a compromise. Instead of everyone making an investment in Crocs, we should all just come to appreciate them. Let’s not hate on these shoes because really, who shouldn’t own a pair of Crocs?