Senioritis epidemic has begun

Senioritis: A crippling disease that most notably strikes high school seniors. Symptoms include laziness, an over-excessive wearing of sweats, lack of studying, repeated absences and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as graduation.

We’ve all heard of this “illness” before, but are its victims limited to just seniors? Most underclassmen would disagree, as they have felt the early onset effects of this debilitating disease, starting as early as freshman year. At this point in the year, the buzz of the new school year is gone. The energy and determination we are riding off is dwindling, so what can be done to fend off demotivation?

In such a rigorous school, staying motivated is a way to further your academic pursuits. “High school is an important stepping stone to higher education and future careers, so as a senior I am trying to stay focused. Having a positive attitude can help you proceed successfully to the next stage in life,” senior Kate Driscoll said.

Surprisingly, this lack of motivation is not the result of too much stress, but rather a lack thereof. “I’ve been the most motivated as a junior so far because of all of the stress that comes with that grade. I think that people are more driven when they have more responsibilities because they are held accountable for their efforts. When it matters, we try harder,” junior Lauren Geier said.

Consequently, as the school year winds down every spring, so do students’ high spirits. “When the spring season starts, I find that most students lose momentum because at that point the majority of the heavy lifting has been done. But, I do think it’s important to stay motivated even in those times. We shouldn’t be determined just because our grades depend on it. We should do it because it makes us happier,” senior Grace Osman said.

A good way to stay motivated is to take the time to reward yourself for all your hard work. Something as simple as taking a short break every once in a while can subconsciously condition you to associate hard work with pride, not dread. “After all that hard work and somehow learning to motivate yourself to do homework, it’s a good idea to reward yourself. Give yourself an hour of time to do [what you please]… Whatever you want to do to celebrate your accomplishments, you should go for it. You’ve worked hard, and you’ve earned a well-deserved break,” according to Vista College.