I scream, you scream, we all scream for acai

In recent years, smoothie bowls (particularly acai bowls) have been a huge trend. Wootton parent Brian Levine opened Berries and Bowls in Kentlands on Sept. 12, and if you haven’t been yet you are definitely missing out. “I was really excited to open this place because I know it’s all kids have been raving about these past couple months. I noticed there was no place in our community like it so I knew everyone would be ready for it,” Levine said.

Berries and Bowls is a superfood cafe that serves acai bowls, fruit smoothie bowls, smoothies, fresh juices and chia pudding. With a great range of healthy options, there really is something for everyone. “I brought my mom here and we both loved it. We got different things and agreed that we would definitely be back,” senior Leah Kellert said.

There are a bunch of acai bowl places around, especially with smoothie shops now adding it to their menus, but Berries and Bowls stands out. Instead of having preset bowls on their menu, they let you choose your base- acai, pitaya, kale, spirulina, coconut- and then pick from their myriad topping combos. The toppings include fruit, Nutella, peanut butter, honey, coconut, chia seeds, almonds and more. The ability to customize a bowl to your liking is a big attraction to this new cafe. “I haven’t been yet but I’m really excited about this new place and all the choices I have to make a bowl I’d love,” junior Ella McGrath said.

When I went, I ordered a Plain Jane (bananas, strawberries and granola) on an acai base. It was delicious, with the acai and fruit both being extremely fresh.

In addition to the great food, Berries and Bowls also has amazing service and decor. Most of the employees are local students, and do a good job keeping up with how busy the restaurant can get. They are polite, friendly and efficient.

The cafe is modernly decorated, with huge windows, purple paint and enough seating to accommodate its popularity. In addition to the indoor seating, they have recently set up an outdoor patio.

Everyday from 9 to 9 you can treat yourself to a bowl or smoothie for any meal, or, because of its close proximity to the Gaithersburg LifeTime, Foundry Fitness and Orangetheory Fitness, the perfect post-workout snack. With the countless possible combinations, you can always get something new and can never get sick of our new local superfood cafe.