Golf’s journey to states begins now with victory against Churchill, Whitman, BCC

The co-ed varsity golf played their first matches against BCC, Whitman, and Churchill. They beat Whitman and BCC and lost in a close match to Churchill.

Juniors Ethan Chelf and Ryan Feldman lead their team at the one and two seeds. Chelf shot a 36 in a win against BCC, a 37 in a win against Whitman and a 41 in a loss against Churchill. Feldman shot 40 in the loss against Churchill, 39 in a win against Whitman and a 37 in a win against BCC.

Golf finished in third place in the state tournament last year and won the divisional title. They aim to win the division title again this year and get first in the state tournament. Chelf placed fifth individually in this tournament and hopes to get a higher individual placement this year. He made the Yachmetz all-division-team, the top division team. Chelf said, “I can’t wait for this season. I’ve gotten much better and I’m looking forward to showing off my talents.”

Chelf, a top golfer in the state, hopes to play in college and add many accolades to his collection this year. The golf team is expected to do well with five seniors. This team is led by Ben Bloch and Yuvraj Singh. Bloch is the heart and soul of this team and motivates them constantly. Singh is expected to fill the role of Noah Simon, who graduated last year. Bloch is not a fan of Churchill and looks forward to playing them again. “That was a lucky win. Next time we see Churchill we are going to beat them down,” Bloch said.

Golf is currently ranked at third place behind Sherwood and Churchill. They are averaging 155 points while Sherwood averages 150 and Churchill averages 148. Each school has three more matches until divisionals. They have qualifiers on Sept. 18 and match on Sept. 19 against BCC, Richard Montgomery and Quince Orchard. They are looking forward to continuing their winning streak. Singh is confident. “We are winning states this year no doubt. Nobody is better than us,” Singh said.