New bell policy brings big changes

For the past decade, students were released from classes when the class ended, according to the time, instead of with a bell, as traditionally used by most schools. As the new school year begins, bells have been implemented to release students from class.

Formerly, bells were only rung on days with irregular or special schedules, such as homeroom or Wellness periods. The institution of bells every day has not been challenging for students. “Even though it’s my first year here, I found it easy to adapt to because in middle school they used to ring bells everyday,” freshman Allie Fischer said.

Bells are rung at the end of each period to signal the change of periods, a pleasing change for students. “I think the implementation of the bells can be good and bad. It is positive because students can actually be let out on time now and teachers can’t hold students an extra few minutes, making them late to their next class,” Keshavarz said.

Coming back from summer break, returning students are learning to get used to a new bell schedule. “I think the new bell schedules are implemented in a positive way because students can adjust to help their time management,” sophomore Katelyn Cheng said.

Teachers who were used to teaching up and over the bell are no longer able to hold students past the class end. “There have been times when my friends come to class late because their teacher held them past and I’ve watched them get in trouble for something beyond their control,” senior Shawdi Keshavarz said.

Bells can be positive for teachers because they can keep track of the students who come in late. “Students usually stall and hang around and now they won’t spend as much time in the hallways talking to their friends and being late to class,” Cheng said.

When students would come to class late in previous years, it could be unclear whether they were on time or not. “When students argued with teachers that they were on time, it would take time away from class and cause commotion,” junior Noellemarie DeChalus said.

Bells can have negative impacts on students and teachers. “Last year, everything seemed more laid back and relaxed in a different way. The bell makes students stressed as well because students have to race to beat the bell when last year we could make it to class in the same minute and still be on time,” DeChalus said.

With the implementation of regular bells, teachers have become more stern about students arriving on time and being in their seats before the bell rings. “Teachers are becoming more strict and harsh on students about timing with the bells and sometimes classes are far away and we can’t get there on time,” Keshavarz said.

Overall, the addition of the bells has been a positive change for students. “It’s also beneficial because teachers don’t have to go by their own clocks and release students whenever they want anymore,” Dechalus said.