Yearbook not to blame for chaos during club photo day

Club photo day is an annual event during which the yearbook staff coordinates pictures for over 90 clubs. For the yearbook staff, this is one of the most hectic days of the year. For students it is an excused way to ditch class.
And for teachers, it is an inconvenient distraction. The yearbook staff however, should not be blamed for the complications that arise with club photo day.
Although students enjoy club photo day, they have numerous complaints about it. For example, senior Arvind Navada said “Club photos were so crowded and I had to wait a long time for some of my pictures.”
Yes, the waiting space outside the auditorium was extremely crowded, and yes, pictures did take longer than five minutes to take. With only one auditorium and over 100 kids in clubs such as BBQ club and NHS, it’s almost impossible for pictures to be taken on time.
Another problem that arises is that students who are not in clubs will still join the photo, and therefore skip class and waste time. The yearbook staff cannot control students’ desires to manipulate the process.
So, is there really any other way to make club photo day a perfectly effective process? The answer is no.
Although teachers do check club passes, students can show a pass for one club and then end up staying outside the auditorium either taking more pictures or simply skipping class and talking with friends.
When students return to class, they can always argue that their picture took 20 minutes and they had consecutive pictures to be in.
There is no way for the teacher to prove that the student is lying. Therefore, the club passes provided by the yearbook staff are as effective as can be.
Also, teachers or the yearbook staff cannot prove whether a student is an actual member of the club. If students are required to show club passes to the yearbook staff, taking a picture would take even longer.
In addition, students will pick up club passes from their friends even if they are not part of the club.
Although the system cannot be improved, teachers can make the club pictures less of a distraction. Firstly, they can try to avoid giving tests and quizzes on club photo day. Although this is unfair to the teacher, it is the only way for teachers to prevent giving make up work to students during lunch or after school.
Secondly, teachers can carefully check club passes before allowing a student to leave class. If students do not have a pass, teachers can refuse to let them leave and possibly inhibit students from ditching class.
Students and teachers should not criticize the club photo process. Its imperfections are a result of student decisions and therefore, the yearbook staff should not be held responsible for the photo day complications.

Smriti Gupta

Front Page Editor