Boys Basketball: Squad hunts victory after strong preseason

With boys’ basketball’s first game quickly approaching, the team has been doing everything they can do properly prepare for the task ahead. From offseason workouts, to pre-season games – not to mention rigorous practices everyday in between – the boys feel confident about what’s to come.
Their preseason games proved to serve as a morale booster as they were faced with tough matchups, which resulted in two wins out of the three games played. The team’s first preseason game, and win, was against the Sandy Springs Friends School Wildebeests, a private school with a strong basketball program.
Next the guys had their toughest matchup of the three, facing the nationally ranked St. James School. After a hard fought game with the school, the boys ending up losing, despite only being down three points by the end of the game; not bad against a team who won the MAC and IPSL championship last year.
The team’s second win was against the Watkins Mill Wolverines; a program that has a history of being successful and making deep playoff runs. The team came up big despite the absence of key power forward, junior Kevin Ayissi-Etoh who was dealing with an injury at the time. The squad showed true resilience despite the obstacles they had to overcome.
Senior point guard Joey Voyta is content with the team’s results in the preseason and looks forward to his final season. “I feel like we got off to a strong start as we had some tough matchups with good results,” Voyta said. “I’m excited to see what the season will bring.”
The teams first official game on Dec. 6, against the Northwest Jaguars, is too late to be covered in this issue. The boys hope to begin the season hot and keep rolling from there.

Alex Bellot

Sports Editor