JV boys’ lax comes up clutch against rival Churchill

The JV boy’s lacrosse team stands at 4-1-1.

On Apr.2 they played Quince Orchard at home. The game went down to the wire and finished in the Patriots’ favor 4-3. Quince Orchard has a history of being a good program and the Patriots knew what they were up against. The defense played well throughout the whole game only holding them to three goals. The Patriots scored all four goals in the first three quarters and were then shut out in the fourth quarter.

As the final minutes of the game began to count down freshman Nate Jacobs held the ball for the last 30 seconds to hold the Cougars from scoring. Sophomore Michael Gordon said, “Even though our offense didn’t play as well as we normally do, the defense picked us up and kept us in the game.”

On Apr.8 the Patriots traveled to Clarksburg and played another close game. They fought hard and came out on top 11-9. Despite not playing that great they managed to get a five-goal lead in the beginning of the game. They were up 8-3 and Clarksburg began to creep back and made it a two-goal game. The Patriots didn’t let the Coyotes get any closer to taking the lead and then scored another three goals. Once again Clarksburg crept back, but it wasn’t enough and the Patriots were able to close out the game. Jacobs said, “Clarksburg kept closing in on our lead, but we didn’t give up. We overall played a pretty good game and were able to keep adding onto our lead.”

On Apr.10 the Patriots played Gaithersburg at home. In one of their better games of the season they shut out Gaithersburg 9-0.

On Apr. 15 the Patriots played a big game against Sherwood away. The Patriots weren’t able to get the offense going and weren’t able to stop Sherwood’s dominating offense. The final score was a 12-1 loss. Sherwood had the whole field advantage and had the momentum in the beginning. The only goal of the game was scored by Smith.

Sophomores Martin Rodriguez and Jack Briskman are returning from being injured for most of the season.

On Apr.24 the Patriots faced Churchill at home. The final score was 5-6 in a crazy game. The Patriots went down 3-1 in the beginning of the game and then shortened their lead to only one goal. Churchill led the game by one goal for the majority of the time, but towards the end they tied it up. With time running down and only 30 seconds left, sophomore Aiden Graham scored to give the Patriots the lead. The Patriots would then go on to beat their rivals in a hard fought game. Goals were scored by Graham, Rodriquez, Smith and Glazier.