Boys’ volleyball comes out to red hot start with undefeated record

Boys’ volleyball had their first game on Mar. 21 against Northwood. Pressure mounted in this game because they wanted to start the season off strong with a win. The Patriots came out hot, setting up spike after spike for the team and dominating the first set. This momentum carried into the second and third sets and the Patriots cruised to victory, winning all three of the sets. “We are playing really well right now we just need to keep this going,” Hall said.

The team’s second game was against Springbrook on Mar. 25. The team got off to another fast start and captured the first two sets. The team looked fatigued in the third and their shots weren’t landing the way they wanted them to. Springbrook was able to take the third set, making it 2-1. The Patriots were able to rally in the fourth set and come out with 3-1 victory.

The team’s next game was against rival Quince Orchard, a team they are familiar with. The team dominated the entire game and never took their foot off the pedal. They cruised to a 3-0 victory, and boosting the teams record to 3-0.

The Patriots’ final match of the week was on Mar. 29 against Whitman. The team had been preparing for this match for a while because they knew it was going to be one of the hardest games of the year. The Patriots once again came out with a good start and took the first set. The second set was neck and neck till the end, but Whitman was able to withstand their lead and hold off the Patriots to give each team one set.

The third set was tight again until the end but this time the Patriots were able to win. In the fourth set, Whitman was hot and was able to tie up the score with two sets a team.

There was one set left and it was win or go home for both teams. The Patriots went on a run to start to start the final set but Whitman was able to counter with a run of their own. The last set was close the whole time. Finally in the Patriots were able to go on a small run and win the final set to give the Patriots the victory. “I’m very happy that we were able to stay together till the end of the match and improve our record to four wins,” Hall said.

Their next game is on Apr. 2 against Walter Johnson, too late to be included in this issue. Walter Johnson knocked the Patriots out of the playoffs last year in the state semifinals.