Patriot Ambassador application process proves rewarding

One club that has caught students’ attention is Patriot Ambassadors. This club is one that has a long application process but teaches students skills they need later in their life.

The first step of the application process is to answer a questionnaire. Questions include why would you be a good asset to the club and how will you manage your time? Prospective ambassadors turn applications into social studies teacher Anne-Marie Steppling and Spanish teacher Meredith Lange. “Answering the questions was a little nerve racking for me only because I was nervous I wasn’t going to give an answer that the people in charge liked,” freshman Amanda Slud said.

After the questions are approved, Lange and Steppling call four to six people at a time to do an interview. In this stage students are given questions to answer in person and on the spot. After a few questions are asked there is a hypothetical situation that is given to the students who then have to collaborate with other peers and come up with a solution. This allows Steppling and Lange to see how well the students get along with others and how they do on the spot. “Although the interview stage was terrifying for me it gave me an opportunity to work on skills and allowed me to practice for when a situation comes about,” freshman Ella Cooper said.

Lange and Steppling then select the students they think are the best fit for the club. Teachers also have meetings to discuss how the student behaves in class and their grades to make sure that they are able to stay on track for school and handle the club.

A few weeks later there is an email sent out to all students who applied telling them if they were selected. “I remember sitting in my eighth period last year and shaking with fear and waiting to receive an email. When I received the email saying I got into Patriot Ambassadors I remember having this feeling of pride and had the biggest smile on my face,” sophomore Jillian Pohoryles said.

Students who receive an acceptance email are required to go to a boot camp to learn the leadership and communication skills as well as others needed to be an excellent Patriot Ambassador. “The boot camp was really easy to do and taught me skills that are important to know for the club and life,” Slud said.

The application process is long and a lot of work, but it teaches the applicants valuable life skills along the way. “The application process was simple, helpful and straightforward,” Cooper said.