Stroke kills ‘90s heartthrob Luke Perry

Luke Perry was an American actor most famously known for his roles as Dylan McKay on Beverly Hills, 90210 and Fred Andrews on Riverdale. On Mar. 4 he died after having a major stroke at 52 years old.

Perry started his role as Dylan McKay on 90210 from 1990 until 1995. He returned to the show in 1998 and continued until the show ended in 2000. He instantly became an idol and heartthrob among teenagers. 90210 recently announced a reboot of the show. Though Perry decided he was not going to act in the revival, the show will still honor him.

After 90210, Perry continued to act and began the role of Fred Andrews, Archie Andrews’ dad, on Riverdale in 2017. There, he was introduced to a new generation of teens who also fell in love with him. “I loved watching Luke Perry on Riverdale. He was a prominent character who was very compassionate and had a huge influence on the show,” senior Jenna Land said.

Perry married Rachel Sharp in 1993 and they divorced 10 years later after having two kids, Sophie and Jack. He became engaged to Wendy Madison, planning to get married this summer.

Perry was rushed to the hospital on Feb. 27 after suffering a major stroke in his California home. He died on Mar. 4 in the hospital, surrounded by his family. His death has left both old and new fans shocked and unsure about what Riverdale will do with him abruptly leaving the show. “I think they will probably kill him off the show because I don’t know what else they would do with him suddenly leaving in the middle of the season,” sophomore Alexa Caggiano said.

Riverdale fans are upset about his death since Fred Andrews was a beloved character. “It’s really sad that he won’t be on the show anymore because he was a genuinely good character and he made the show happier since it is normally so ominous,” Caggiano said.

Not only are Riverdale fans heartbroken, but 90210 fans as well. The shock of his death is alarming to them since they grew up with him always in the media and they are around the same age. “I think people my age are sad about his death because he is a contemporary and it’s who we grew up with. 90210 was a part of my high school experience,” science teacher Aileen Ruderman said.

Co-stars on both shows and from other jobs have shown an outpouring of support for their colleague and friend on social media. Riverdale co-star KJ Apa said, “Rest in Love bro” and 90210 co-star Ian Ziering said, “May your journey forward be enriched by the magnificent souls who have passed before you, just like you have done here for those you leave behind.”