D.C. holds annual Women in the Arts pop up day

D.C. participated in the third annual Women in the Arts pop up day on Mar. 8. This festival was in honor of International Women’s Day. Those who attended got to experience culturally enriching art and music, as well as shopping.

International Women’s Day is a call for gender equality. Different female entrepreneurs and artists were featured and honored for their inspired change. According to eventbrite.com, “Women’s Day is a global celebration of the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.”

Those who attended viewed a live performance by D.J. Chandi, and live art from The Omi Collective. There were also 10 women whose visual arts were featured. According to Facebook.com event details, “The Omi Collective encourages ALL art lovers and artists from as far as the mind’s eye can reach, aspiring to strengthen the bond between all by communing artfully and welcoming as much crazy an artist can bring.”

The DC Swim Week (DCSW) and The Omi collective aimed to spread awareness for their public event. They had interest pages on numerous sites. According to the Facebook interest page, 1,300 people said they would be attending, and another 7,600 showed interest.