Spring teams striving for success

With spring sports beginning, teams look forward to what they believe could be a very successful season.

Baseball is looking good to make a run in the playoffs. The team has seven returning seniors including two captains from last year, pitcher Ryan Mariani and infielder Harrison Cance. The team was able keep their starting infield from last year. Even though the team had a disappointing loss in the second round of the playoffs last year, they were able to dominate the regular season, winning their division. “I think we have a very good chance of going far this year and definitely won’t get upset like we did last year,” second baseman Chris Vondas said.

Boys’ lacrosse looks ready to surprise the rest of county with their talent. The team only lost one starter from last year, so experience isn’t an issue. Junior midfielders Zane Cohen and Evan Mclaughlin look to build on to the impressive season they had last year. Cohen and Mclaughlin both have the speed to run past their defenders and the ability to create open shots for themselves and others. Senior Caleb Metz leads the attack as he was the returning scorer form last year. “We are confident in our ability to beat these teams that are ranked higher than us and make a run come playoff time,” Cohen said.

Boys’ tennis has won states for the past three years and counties for five. The team took a big loss from last year losing Joseph Brailovsky, who now plays for the University of South Carolina. Even with losing Brailovsky, the team still expects to pick up from where they left off last season. Senior captain Nick Huynh looks to guide the team back to states, and he will receive big help from his teammates. The dominating junior class consists of Alex Yeh, Daniel Zhang, Samir Patankar, Josh Levine and Simon Huynh. All five members have played big roles in the team’s success the past two years and expect to make big impact this season. “I’m expecting the team not to take a break from where we ended last year, and we have to start preparing for that now,” Yeh said.