Boys’ basketball remains inconsistent; Looks to hit stride before playoffs

Boys’ basketball has had some up and downs in the past weeks.

At home on Jan. 25 the boys took on Wheaton and ended up demolishing them 69-36. Senior guard Kevin Ayissi-Etoh lead the scoring with 21 points, with senior forward Harrison Cance putting up 12 along with junior guard Jack Lvovsky’s nine points to help secure the win. “Great overall team win, this was a team we knew we should beat and we played together well,” Cance said.

Three days later at home on Jan. 28, the boys took on their division rival, Clarksburg, at home. After a back and forth for most of the game, in the third quarter the boys went on a fastbreak. The ball was passed to senior forward True Johnson and he drove to the hoop and slammed it on a Clarksburg defender. The whole crowd and boys bench went wild. Johnson finished with 26 points, Ayissi-Etoh finished with 26 points, and Cance finished with 19 points. “I was just happy with got the big team win over a division rival,” Johnson said.

On Jan. 31 the boys traveled to Quince Orchard to try to avenge their loss from earlier in the season. QO has a unique press that was able to shut down the Patriots offense and QO ended up winning 59-51. “It is tough when we are struggling on offense, but we have to regroup and figure out our offensive problems,” senior guard Garrett Koch said.

On Feb 5, the Patriots traveled to Magruder to take on a tough opponent. Throughout the game it was close, but the boys ended up losing 54-51. Koch hit four threes for the Patriots, and ended with 20 points but that was not enough to overcome the Colonels. “This was definitely a game we could of won we just let it slip away,” senior forward Greg Urovsky said.

On Feb. 8, the Walter Johnson Wildcats came to take on the Patriots at home for a big Friday night game. Cance dropped 25 points to help propel the Patriots offense, but two starters for WJ dropped 19 and 16 to give the Patriots the loss. The Patriots ended up losing 73-66. “It is tough losing a bunch of games we know we can win, we just are now looking to hit stride in time for playoffs and make a run,” Cance said.

The Patriots record was 8-11 as they traveled to play Northwood at on Feb. 12, too late to be covered in this issue.