Impressive wins for both boys’ and girls’ swim get the season rolling

The swim and dive team had their first meet against the Northwest Jaguars. Girls and boys both won, with the boys coming in first with 116-67 points on Dec. 8. The girls as well won with 97 points, while Northwest only had 88.

For the freshmen on the team, this was their first real meet of their high school career. “Since this was the first real meet we’ve had, it was a lot of fun cheering on and watching my friends swim,” freshman Grace Mahon said.

Nervousness in freshmen is normal for the first game or beginning of the season. That’s why practices are so important when getting ready for each meet. “I think the practices really prepare us and competing as team is a really good environment,” freshman Sophie Good said.

There are around 15 seniors on the team this year, and they have been getting to know the underclassmen, especially freshmen, and make them feel comfortable with the entire team. “I love to talk and help out the underclassmen whenever they need something because it’ll help my relationship with them and help them feel more comfortable with the team,” senior Maddie Grainger said.

Senior SGA president and captain Aaron Lazar has been participating on the swim and dive team during all four years. He shows leadership and guides the team through showing spirit during the meets. “Being a captain is so much fun I. love seeing the team be spirited during the meets and cheering everyone on,” Lazar said.

With their first meet behind them, the team is feeling optimistic about the rest of the season. They finished the previous meet strong and showed that they are a team. meet and I’m really excited to see how the rest of the season goes,” Grainger said.

This season there is a new head coach, Kevin Fisher. He has years of experience as a club swim coach, as well as coaching at pools during the summers. This is his first year as a high school swim coach. “He lets the seniors kind of lead the practices so he can learn from them and know how everything goes,” Mahon said.

In addition to letting the seniors take the lead during most of the practices, he is also described by some of the swimmers as “really nice” and “encouraging”. “He never has anything bad to say and always encourages us to do our best as a team, and individually,” senior Kevin Scher said.

The next meet for the swim and dive team was Dec. 15, against Quince Orchard, too late to be included in this issue. The next match for the team will be after winter break and will be scheduled for sometime in January.