Lazar, Odim lead team past competition during Swim & Dive scrimmage

With senior captains Aaron Lazar and Jonathan Odim leading the swim and dive team in their season, the rest of the swimmers and divers are working hard to get ready for their first meet.

This year, the team has a new coach. Kevin Fisher has been the swim coach of Country Glen swimming pool during the summer for the past three years here. This is his first year coaching swimming, and “he’s done a good job so far, even though we’re just starting to have practices every week,” senior Kevin Scher said.

On Dec. 1, the team had a scrimmage against rival Churchill. Although there was no score kept, “the team did well considering we haven’t had many practices yet,” senior Maddie Grainger said.
As this season starts up, many new faces will be seen on the team. Freshman Emily Levine has joined the swim team and is looking forward to starting her experience on the team. Levine has been swimming since she was six years old, and since she’s gotten older, has started pursuing the sport all year long.

The freshman describes swimming as, “a stress-reliever. It helps me take my mind off things that are stressing me out. And, it’s so fun and I love being able to do it all year round,” Levine said.
Before the tryouts for the team, Levine was feeling nervous. “I know I needed to show them what I had in order to get onto the team,” Levine said.

Senior Kevin Scher has been swimming on this team all four of his years here. He describes his experience as, “overall a lot of fun. I love being able to do it with my friends and be able to meet new people as well,” Scher said.

Team had their first meet, Dec. 8 against Northwest at the Gaithersburg Aquatic Center, too late to be included in this issue.