Streaming services boast best series

Junior Julia Bogart crawls into bed after an exhausting day of school and is plagued with one last difficult decision – should she watch Drake and Josh on Hulu or The Office on Netflix?

Hulu and Netflix are American entertainment companies primarily oriented towards media streaming. Each offers a wide variety of shows and movies, with little overlap in content. With winter break coming up, and hopefully many snow days, it is essential to find an entertaining new series to binge watch. To aid you in your search, here are the top three shows currently on Netflix and Hulu.

Hulu

This is Us, currently finishing its third season, is an emotional and touching story about a set of triplets and their loving parents, unique past and challenges. Mother Rebecca Pearson loses one of the triplets during birth, but then adopts a baby who was left at a fire station the same day. This is Us is unique in the way that it includes both the family’s past and current situations. The show displays parents Rebecca and Jack Pearson in the early stages of their marriage, and includes scenes from both the triplet’s childhoods and their current middle-age struggles.
A popular comedy from the 2000s, Drake and Josh is a show about two, polar opposite step-brothers. Drake, a popular musician, and Josh, a nerd, go through a myriad of funny and crazy situations trying to deal with their malicious younger sister Megan, and end up getting along better than they anticipated.

The Good Doctor piloted in 2017 and follows Shaun Murphy, a surgeon with autism and Savant syndrome, employed at a prestigious hospital. Despite skepticism from colleagues and patients, Shaun uses his phenomenal medical talent to save lives. “I love The Good Doctor as it is inspiring and isn’t just the typical medical drama TV show,” Bogart said.

Netflix

Friends is a popular and classic show that first aired in 1994 and continued until 2004. The series is set in Manhattan and follows a group of six friends, Phoebe, Joey, Monica, Chandler, Rachel and Ross, through their professional and personal lives. Over the span of 10 years, we watch as the friends experience family struggles, fights, marriages and so much more together. “No matter how many times I watch Friends it is always able to make me laugh,” junior Daniel Avnaim said.

From 2005 to 2013, The Office cast made millions of people laugh through their hilarious and bizarre encounters. The employees of the Scranton, Pennsylvania, branch of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company are filmed 24/7 for nine years for a documentary. The camera crew captures regional manager Michael Scott leading the employees through hysterical ups and downs as they try to do whatever it takes to maintain the success of their company. “The Office is my all-time favorite show. I’ve watched it so many times and it gets better every time,” junior Molly Burns said.

Leslie Knope, mid-level bureaucrat in an Indiana Parks and Recreation Department, helps local nurse Ann Perkins convert an abandoned construction site into a community park in hopes of enhancing her career and beautifying her town. For seven years, what was supposed to be a simple project is hindered by governmental red tape, selfish neighbors, idiotic neighbors and a multitude of other challenges.