Electives allow students to study their interests

Child development, law, forensics among popular electives this year

Electives cover a wide range of interests. From AP level science courses, to digital photo, to child development, students jump at the opportunity to take elective classes. “Electives give students, especially upperclassmen, an opportunity to explore their interests more in depth,” guidance counselor Elizabeth Robinson said.

Forensics

Forensics is a combination of forensic science (criminal and civil law) and modern criminal investigation analysis. Students study the techniques used in connection with the detection of crime. Students do case studies to learn about how the detectives found what they did. The class begins with learning about human anatomy and the bones in the body. Forensics is a popular science elective taught by Stanford Herzon.

Law

In law, students learn all about the justice system. They read cases and discuss what they believe the defendants should be charged with, learn about the differences between adult and juvenile crimes and read true cases about crimes that occurred in the area. “I have always been interested in criminal justice, so I took this course to see if being a lawyer is something I would want to do when I am older,” Junior Nate Price said.

Personal Finance

Personal finance teaches students about banking, money management and stocks and bonds. This information is beneficial for students, as it will be helpful for them in their future. “I think personal finance should either be required or taken by more students as it gives valuable information that all students would benefit from,” junior Lainey Morris said.

Child Development

Child Development gives students the opportunity to be the teachers for preschoolers. The kids arrive in the morning and leave before lunch, and come every day except Fridays. The class is split into three groups, and there is a three-week rotation. The first week is prepping and planning, the second week is teaching and the last week is observing the kids and the other teachers.
Junior Parmida Khajoee took child development as a freshman and sophomore. “The class was a lot of fun, and it gave me the chance to work with kids as that is something I wanted to do in the future,” Khajoee said.

AP Psychology

AP psychology is a college-level course taken by almost 300 upperclassmen, making it one of the most popular electives. In this class, students learn about a wide range of psychology-related topics, including the history of psychology, social psychology, abnormal psychology and sensory and perception. It introduces the variety of types of psychology, informing students of possible future professions.
AP psychology students also are given the opportunity to get psychology-related internships, like working in the psych ward at a local hospital. This course is advantageous for students interested in learning more about psychology or those who plan on majoring in psychology in college.