Do Christmas decorations come too early?

No,

With the end of the Halloween season comes an all-time favorite holiday: Christmas.

The arrival of the holiday season brings the much-needed takeover of holiday music; Mariah Carey’s Christmas albums are once again climbing the charts, Christmas covers are starting to trend on Instagram and the holiday spirit is coming down on students left and right.

Motivation is a large part of why students have already begun to listen to holiday music. Christmas music is here to remind students of the good there still is in the world, taking their mind off of schoolwork and tests. “It’s definitely not too early for Christmas music, it keeps us excited about the upcoming holiday and Jesus,” sophomore Daniel Hwang said. “It’s my motivation because now I have something to look forward to, and we all need as much motivation as we can get.”

The bright and fun tunes of holiday music are sure to cheer up moods and lift up spirits. “I love Ariana Grande and listening to her songs, especially her Christmas music, because it just puts me on top of the world,” sophomore Jenna Shi said. “It’s not too early to start listening to Christmas music because it’s not just a holiday, it’s a special feeling that lasts a whole few months and it’s also something I’ll never get sick of.”

It’s not strange for people to begin listening to holiday music before Thanksgiving. In fact, students aren’t bothered by Thanksgiving happening between Halloween and Christmas and have already started listening to their favorite Christmas songs regardless. “Thanksgiving is a nice holiday, but it doesn’t excite me as much as Christmas,” Shi said. “I start preparing for Christmas right after Halloween because Thanksgiving just doesn’t influence my holiday spirit and I already put up and decorated my mini tree.”

Being extra festive and ready for Christmas before Thanksgiving rolls around the corner doesn’t mean that you’re ready to skip an entire holiday; some people just need extra time to fully appreciate the holiday. Listening to Christmas music is a perfect way to incorporate early holiday vibes and excitement into daily activities.

Not quite sure where to start? Sophomore Veronika Iordanskaya has a few favorites that she has already started to listen to. “I recommend listening to All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey and Justin Bieber because I love how festive it is,” Iordanskaya said. “Jingle Bells is another song to listen to too since it’s such a winter classic.”

Everyone could use a little extra holiday cheer in their lives, and Christmas songs are the perfect way to dive into the winter season spirits. The beauty of holiday music needs to be appreciated much earlier in the year.

Christmas spirit is a wonderful feeling to have, especially during the cold months of winter. It is never too early to start celebrating.

-Jonnie Voyta
news editor

Yes,

Thanksgiving just ended and it’s still November. Christmas decorations flood the streets and Christmas music consumes every radio station.
All throughout November leading up to Christmas, there are Christmas decorations in homes, restaurants, malls, and even hospitals filled up to the brim with Christmas decorations. Then with radio stations blasting Christmas songs on their stations, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, it becomes too much.

I’m not trying to roast Christmas music or their decorations as I understand the joy that Christmas brings. Listening to classic Christmas songs and hearing new Christmas albums for the first time can be a pretty exciting time. Also all of the Christmas trees filled with ornaments and houses wrapped in colorful lights can make a beautiful sight.

Except, as some students at this school decorate their homes and listen to Christmas music, I’ll be waiting until the week before Christmas to celebrate the holiday. This is because I’m not in favor of listening to Christmas music or putting up decorations in November, and neither are students in this school, as it ruins the joy of Christmas. “I can’t stand too much Christmas music before it starts to get on my nerves,” freshmen Ethan Stoller said.

Listening to Christmas music in November is excessive and overkill. First of all, listening to Christmas music for two months will take away from its normal satisfaction and festivity. Listening to Christmas music for a long period of time is like celebrating your birthday over a week and the more time you spend on it, the less enjoyable it becomes as you will likely grow bored of it.

While some students may argue that you can never get bored of Christmas music, I disagree because I think that too much Christmas music will minimize the enjoyment it brings. “I can’t stand Christmas music in November because by the time Christmas comes I am just annoyed by all the Christmas music,” senior Trey Wilson said.

Enormous amounts of Christmas decorations are hung up in November and then sometimes they aren’t taken down until January. Christmas decorations overflow our community in November, which leads to students, who do not celebrate Christmas, feeling their holidays are unappreciated. Christmas is only one out of the three major holidays that is celebrated by students during December. The other holidays are Hanukkah, which is celebrated from Dec. 2 to Dec. 10 and Kwanzaa, which is celebrated from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1 both of which lack the decorations that Christmas has.

Despite the fact, the majority of students in this school celebrate Christmas there is still a large number of students who celebrate Hanukkah and Kwanzaa who feel left out of the decorating spirit. When Christmas decorations are put up in November, it only amplifies the feelings of students who feel left out. “I don’t agree with people putting up Christmas decorations in December, because I celebrate Hanukkah, which is before Christmas this year and I still haven’t seen one Hanukkah decoration,” senior Jared Rabin said.

-Christina Liu
Front page editor