Girls’ JV soccer season ends with impressive record despite tough competition

Sarah Levine
staff editor

As the season came to an end for the JV girls’ soccer team, the girls were faced with tough competitors and have been finished games strong. With a record of 6-1-2, they have proved that with a team of mostly freshmen, the girls could still learn to play well and work together.

In their most recent game against Quince Orchard on Oct. 16, the team took a tough loss of 2-0. The girls fought hard and for three of the JV girls, good news came after the game. Sophomore captains Sarah Woodward and Anya Bilijani, along with freshman Natalie Matikyan, were moved up to the varsity team for the remainder of the season. “I’m so excited to be able to play with varsity for the rest of the season,” Matikyan said.

“They have proved that with a team of mostly freshmen, the girls could still learn to play well and work together.”

Throughout the season, the JV team dominated most of their opponents. “We always come out strong from the start from the game and it usually pays off,” freshman goalie Jamie Reyer said.

The new coach of the JV team, 2013 Wootton graduate Cara Traub, adapted quickly to the coaching mentality. With help from the varsity coach, Traub created an atmosphere of playing soccer as a unit and learning for everyone. “Coaching this team has been really fun and I hope I’m able to do it again in years to come,” Traub said.

Through the season, Traub was able to connect with the girls and guide them into playing together and being able to trust each other during the games. “She was a really good coach this season and I hope she’s back next year,” freshman manager Sonya Berlinger said.

“[Coach] Traub was able to connect with the girls and guide them into playing together and being able to trust each other during the games.”

In their game against Bethesda Chevy-Chase on Oct. 9, the team finished with a 3-1 win against the Barons. Matikyan scored two goals with a great header off a corner and a shot from outside of the 18-yard box with perfect placement. In between those two goals, freshman Orly Benaim caught a breakaway against the keeper. Being calm and cautious, she got around the goalie and placed the ball right into the goal. “It was a great game and we really played well as a team,” sophomore Katherine Jackson said.

With many of the players on the team this year being first time Wootton athletes, they “have done so well and can’t wait for next year,” sophomore Paige Abid said.