A Star is Born, as is Lady Gaga’s acting career

Emily Eichberg
reviews editor

A star is born was released on Oct. 5, making $97.5 million on the opening weekend. The movie’s album remains in the number one spot on iTunes, along with three of the songs, Shallow, Always remember us this way, and I’ll never love again in the top five songs.

Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, better known as Lady Gaga, has been featured in movies before, but never taken on a role this big or serious. Gaga’s last album, Joanne, was released in 2016, but she has not taken part in anything like this, entertainment wise, since then. Ally, Gaga’s character in the movie, is different from everything that Gaga has done throughout her career not just because it is an acting role, but because it strays from everything Gaga built up her public image to be. In an interview with Good Morning America, Gaga said, “It’s interesting for me, you know, I think taking off my wigs, taking off my makeup and it is an interesting thing for me to reveal and to experience.”

Co-star Bradley Cooper made his directing debut for the movie as well as starring in it. Jackson Maine, Cooper’s character, is a big time singer and musician who struggles with substance abuse. Maine discovers Ally at a small bar and immediately falls for her. As he advances her musical career, their relationship advances as well and they eventually get married.

In an interview with Cinemablend, Cooper and Gaga talk about the significance of the final scene in the movie. The title “A Star is Born” is understood on the surface in that Ally’s career is born, but that final scene is the true moment when the star is born. The last shot in the movie is the first and last time that Ally looks into the camera.

Responding to the question of why that is so significant to the story, Cooper said “that’s the moment the star is born… the movie ends with the star being born.”

Without the soundtrack, the movie would not be nearly as powerful as it is. This album is unlike any other movie soundtrack. Cooper and Gaga sing every song on the track and tell much of the story through the strong lyrics. Ally is a songwriter, so when there are ups and downs, her emotional outlet is through music, which is clearly told in the movie.
Students have enjoyed it. Senior Jesse Lotenberg said, “It was really good, the ending was shocking and sad.”