Northwest student killed in collision

Senior Josh Snyder died in car crash on I-270, community mourns loss

Hannah Shapiro
managing editor

While driving may seem like a start to becoming an adult and allowing us more control of our lives, we must not forget what kinds of dangers come with having a license. It was these types of dangers that took the life of Northwest senior Josh Snyder on Oct. 4.

According to The Washington Post, Snyder was driving to an internship opportunity in a silver Buick Century on the southbound shoulder of I-270 South of Montrose Road, and collided with an unattended box truck, killing him on the scene. This is believed to be a freak accident, one not involving drugs or alcohol, according to police. It was also confirmed that Snyder was in fact wearing his seat belt. The investigation is estimated to take months.

In remembrance of Snyder, students at Northwest and other community members made a memorial around his parking space, writing messages and laying out flowers.

Snyder was member of the wrestling team and is remembered as a strong student, loved by his friends and family. In the letter from Northwest Principal Jimmy D’Andrea to the students, he reflected on how he knew Snyder. “Josh was a very kind, compassionate and hard-working individual who had a positive impact on countless students and staff, and he will be deeply be missed in our school and community,” D’Andrea said. “I would ask that you please keep Josh’s family and friends in your thoughts and prayers in the coming days.”

A GoFundMe account in Snyder’s name has been created by the community, and has raised nearly $46,000. The money raised is going toward the expenses of Snyder’s funeral, as well as a scholarship in his name for the special needs students at Northwest.
Since this accident occurred, students have been reflecting on Snyder’s death, and thinking about what it means to them. Snyder was only 17 years old when he died. He was a member of the wrestling team and was a cross-country runner.

Senior Chloe Nguyen said this accident makes her think about how what this means for the student community here. “I think this is a wakeup call for students to drive safer, because a lot of us drive recklessly and don’t think that this could actually happen to one of us,” Nguyen said.

Senior Lexi Douglas said the accident has made her think about what it means to be a driver, the risks of driving and what she thinks others need to take away from this as well. “This sad event needs to bring awareness to this issue, and kids need to be more careful on the roads,” Douglas said.